2 Gigs Ram Upgrade Crashes PC

• TsX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've been under gig of ram for too damn long, and when I finally got my upgrade to some nice 1 x 1gb dual channel memory, it just WON'T WORK!

So here's the deal. I installed them immediately upon arrival and windows would not completely boot. So I took one out, and left the other one in, everything works fine. Testing the other stick, works fine. But whenever the two sticks are together, whether in dual channel slots or not, it DOESN'T WORK. I can't even install a fresh copy of windows or ubuntu.

So any ideas? After some research I was thinking the power supply, but I'm not an expert tech or anything. The computer is 5-6 years old now, it only has a 400W power supply for a Pentium 4 CPU... I just don't know if a lack of power could cause this. Come to think about it, could I test for that by removing a lot of my extra components? Or it is based off what the motherboard is getting?

Like I said I am not a tech expert when it comes to power. I remember way back when I thought messing with the voltage options would be cool... not cool...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

What mother board is in there? Did you read the specifications for it before you bought the memory? Sometimes the memory sticks can't be that large and with all mother boards there is a limit as to how much it can take. That's why you have to know what mother board is there.
  • TsX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Double Checked It I am pretty sure, but just in case you want to look

Albatron PX865PE Pro II

google search link for you

The memory is G-Skill, PC3200 (400mhz) Dual Channel 2 x 1 Gig

Motherboard should support 4 GB as reading the specs claim. And I am only putting in 2 gigs. So I believe that aspect should be good.

On another note, I unpluged my extra cd-rom and extra HD, still getting the same problem. But then again, I think my windows install cd is screwed, going to have to get another copy from the school. Going to install the old harddrive with windows on it again and try to boot with a installation in place. I suppose I could of mentioned that I am trying to format the new 500Gb hard drive I got for it too. Hmmmmm. Still messing with it.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

4 * DDR Sockets:
DDR400/333/DDR266 NON-ECC DDR SDRAM up to 4GB
Note 1: If the FSB of your CPU is 400 MHz, the memory speed supports only DDR 266.
Note 2: If the FSB of your CPU is 533 MHz, the memory speed supports DDR 266/333
Note 3: If the FSB of y

Read notes 1 and 2. Three looks like it was lost somewhere.
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member
  • Loc: Conroe, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds like the motherbored is not able to handle the amount of ram.
  • TsX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

The CPU FSB is 800 Mhz. The motherboard recognizes the 2 gigs at 400 mhz, but windows crashes. but I do believe its hardware related. and like I said, each stick works individually
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

have you tryed running one at a time in each slot?
  • TsX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

demonmaestro wrote:
have you tryed running one at a time in each slot?

You mean like testing the slots individually for a defective slot?

I initially had two sticks in dimm 1 and 2. and the gigs don't work when in 1 and 2.

lol, I just got a crash with a single stick,but it at least booted into windows...
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes test the slots individually with each stick

For instance
Test all your slots with one of the sticks and then do the same with the other.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also, if there are 4 slots, use 1 and 3 or 2 and 4.
  • TsX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, here we go. As I mentioned before I don't have good experience with voltage. I looked at the memory specs again, I got them from newegg ( heaven for computers parts ).

Check it out

The voltage sys 2.6v - 2.75v on the specs, and my motherboard is set for 2.55v, now can I assume I am allowed to increase the voltage then? lol, bad memories come back, but it seems reasonable... and if so, what should I increase too.. 2.65 or 2.75?[/url]
  • TsX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
Also, if there are 4 slots, use 1 and 3 or 2 and 4.

Either way, I shouldn't have to do dual channel if I don't want it, I initially tried on 1,3 and 2,4 and tried other combinations in case there was a problem with it being dual channel itself.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, then I'm out of ideas. Good luck with it.
  • TsX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

The voltage thing doesn't seem to make a difference. windows crashes right before the welcome screen. just reboots itself.
  • TsX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Running MemTest 86, found 3 errors so far. I think I will just be sending it back.

however, memtest on each individually reveals no errors..
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Boot it with the one stick and go to system properties, advanced, startup and recovery. Uncheck automatic reboot. Then install all your memory and try again.
  • TsX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am finding it odd how there's a mem error on 2 sticks and none of them have problems individually. But now I am having more problems than I wanted. tried going back to the initial setup and now the motherboard is having problems just recognizing the hard drives. If I run them by themselves, they seem to do ok, but when they are together, one drive is not recognized and the other shows up as radom characters. Oh man... This might take awhile. Thinking I will start everything over from scratch....
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, I see the problem. In your second post you said that the memory was 400 MHz and in my second post, the 'notes' say that the highest the mother board can handle is 333. It's the wrong memory.
  • TsX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

The website said if my CPU was 800 mhz FSB that I could support 400 Mhz RAM, double check.

So here's everything. My motherboard no longer recognizes two of my 3 harddrives. I've torn everything out, and tried to get it to recognize just one of them at a time, and nothing. VoiceGenie either complains or nothing gets recognized at all and it continues on. NOTE that I did switch back to my old ram which runs at 333 mhz. The ony hard drive that is still recognized is my oldy 30 GB drive. My brand new 500 GB gets a complaint from VoiceGenie all every time now. So everything started off ok, and now a whole bunch of new problems just hit the ceiling fan.

I'm going to test both the hard drives on a old computer I bought for ten bucks, its still a pentium 4 and runs good. All the Hard Drives are IDE 100. If the old computer fails I will take them to a friend. The one hard drive was my storage so I probably just lost a whole ton of crap.

Oh, and note the one hard drive that still gets recognized actually is running horribly. Windows takes a decade to load and you can hear the drive having problems. The other drives you can hear their problems too. So something *peach* something up.

I guess I am completely clueless and the more I attempt to figure out the problem the more things go wrong... All of this over me wanting to upgrade my RAM... what the *peach*?! Can't believe I'm about to lose a PC over a RAM upgrade.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

We have conflicting information. The site I read said that the max is 333 MHz and you read that it's 400. It appears that the site I read was correct, since you have a ton of problems that didn't exist before.

I think that it was the wrong memory and it may have caused the new problems. I suggest that you use memory no more than the 333 MHz and reset the BIOS to defaults before you boot to the OS.
  • TsX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
4 * DDR Sockets:
DDR400/333/DDR266 NON-ECC DDR SDRAM up to 4GB
Note 1: If the FSB of your CPU is 400 MHz, the memory speed supports only DDR 266.
Note 2: If the FSB of your CPU is 533 MHz, the memory speed supports DDR 266/333
Note 3: If the FSB of y

Read notes 1 and 2. Three looks like it was lost somewhere.

you didn't list note 3 completely:

Memory
4 * DDR Sockets:
DDR400/333/DDR266 unbuffered /None-ECC DDR SDRAM up to 4GB
Note 3: If the FSB of your CPU is 800 MHz, the memory speed supports DDR 266/333/400
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm, it was cut off on the web site. Call the manufacturer of the mother board. That's all I can think of now.
  • TsX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, so I had this ache that it was the power supply, and when my hard drives worked at my friends I figured it had to be that or my motherboard.

They just so happened to have a spare power supply that was a little bigger than mine, and viola the hard drives are being recognized now. So things are looking up for the moment, but I am re-testing the memory to double check if thats bad.

Thanks too all that helped, I just hope this is the end of my problems and things start flowing a bit more smoothly
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I didn't know memory had such a requirement.
  • TsX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

What I'm thinking happened wasn't the memory's fault. Well, it was bad, of course, but when fiddling around trying to get things to work, I ended up breaking something else. Hoping the next try won't be so bad.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Same here, good luck.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 26 posts