Going Wireless

• prophetesque
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • prophetesque

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am thinking of adding a wireless card to my laptop, which is a dell inspiron 5150 with a mobile p4, 60 Gb HDD, 3.06GB with HT, 512 DDR RAM and XP home SP1. It is a new computer, and i decided not to get the wireless card stock, but am changing my mind. I havent opened this thing up, and have never owned a laptop before, so is it going to be hard to install if i get one? I am new to wireless tech also, and am wondering if the cards generate a lot of heat? I've read a little about it, and so the hardware install would basically be putting the card in, and routing the antenna correct? What cards would be good for this? Is getting a card better than getting a USB device for occasional-frequent wireless use? I know very little about this, so tell me a lot. Thanks.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• beings
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you are new to opening computer and there internal workings i suggest you get the usb device. My father uses the usb device everyday it seems to be just as good as the card, just simpler.
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

for the most part the cards don't generate much heat. Internal cards for laptops are mini pci cards, you could install one just be careful you don't void the warranty on the laptop by opening it. Another idea is using the usb radio mentioned above, or going with a PCMCIA card. The different types you will be concerned with are A, B, or G cards. Now a days you can get a card with all three protocols and Freq's on one card. Also there are low power and high powered cards. The low power cards are around 35mw and the high power cards are around 200mw. The only difference you will see with a 200mw card over a 35mw card is your range is about three times the amount. Also the 200mw will permeate solid objects better because of the increased power. So far the only 200mw cards I have seen are B cards. Both B & G are 2.4GHz and A is 5.2-5.8GHz. a standard 35mw PCMCIA B card is going to run you around $20 - $40 and a 200mw PCMCIA B card is going to run you around $60 - $100. But mainly stick to a card that has all three or one that has at least B on it. B is the most widely used at hot spots. Hope this helps you out some.
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

have they done any studies on wireless internet effects on the human brain? seems like it could be like the cell phone and increase your chances of getting Brain cancer.

because eventualy the world will have Complete wireless internet connection.
  • prophetesque
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • prophetesque

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, much to my dismay, if i open my laptop, i lose my warrenty. That means for the next year, i have to use a usb device. Now im guessing that there are different types of external devices just like with cards. I think i am going to get this one: My Usb of choice

Does that one look good? I think it is compatible with the network that i will be using. Is there a better, or lower priced model? the price is important, because it is just temparary.

Thanks for the help
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

beings wrote:
have they done any studies on wireless internet effects on the human brain? seems like it could be like the cell phone and increase your chances of getting Brain cancer.

because eventualy the world will have Complete wireless internet connection.

You have more of a chance of getting cancer from a leaky microwave oven that with a 35mw radio card installed in your laptop. If you stand in front of a broadcast tower antenna that is amped up then you could receive a radiation burn or increased chances of cancer.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts