GPU Fan making noise

• manuleka
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: NZ, Wellington

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a Radeon 9100 Card, and lately it's been making noise everytime i boot up my PC everyday! It will go on for 0.5 to 1 minute before it quiets down to normal.

Tried dusting it out! and still same thing happens, i'm just a bit worried that one morning it might just stop or something!

any suggestion on solution? or should i just get a fan replacement?

cheers
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would just replace the fan. Same thing happens to my cpu heat sink fan, it usually starts making a whiny noise when its on its last legs. After I replaced the fan, nothing but silence!
  • Mav06
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Mav06

Post 3+ Months Ago

i agree i would also replace it. i just had that problem on my video card (geforce fx 5600 ultra) i just sent it in and got a brand new one.

Matt
  • Lefty
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: North Dakota, United States

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you can get to the center of the fan, you usually have to remove the sticker, and put some graphite in to it that should quite it down. Of course as Mav06 said, if you can get it replaced with a new one go for it, as the waranty period may start over.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll agree with Lefty here, the easiest fix would be removing the sticker in the center and dropping some 3-in-1 oil in the spindle. Don't get crazy with the oil, just a drop or two.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I always replace my fan on new cards with a bigger slower quieter fan (just do your research cos I have made a mistake)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts