Graphic Card - Need Help

• khayoz
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • khayoz
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been looking at graphic cards, i have brough a topic up before about 6800 vs x800, but now i have been showed the 6600. I dont have heaps of cash on me, i might be able to get a hold of a x800 or a 6800, but i have been told 6600 is a very nice card and well worth it.

Im just wondering is it worth me buying the 6600, if i plan to use it for a good few years on the latest games, will i get a good fps rate, above 40 or 50 is a good fps rate for me.

Cards Full Name:
GainWard 128MB 6600GT TD GS
GainWard 256MB 6800GT TD
GeCube 256MB X800Pro TD

You get the picture, they might not be 100% alike but you get the idea.

Thanks for your help.
-khayoz
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

6800gt or the x800pro

the 6600 is okay in 1024x768 with no AA and AF but may show ages in years to come.

the 6800gt and x800pro will storm through todays games with high AA and AF and a good resolution. Meaning it will last you much longer.

Personally i would pick the 6800gt, because i prefer the nvidia control panel :P
  • Flux
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

just make sure you have a PCI-E slot, otherwise your going to be a little disapointed......
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ocean City , Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

6600 GT ,you will not be sorry.

http://www.bfgtech.com/6600GT.html

you don't need PCI ,this is AGP what you already have ,
plus the clock speeds on this card beat the pci ,by a mile.
  • Hellsbellboy
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Minnesota

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah the BFG 6600GT is a great card if you can't get the GeForce 6800GT
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

but get the 6800 anyways, get a second (or first job, depending) take out a second mortgage, and then sell your soul to the devil.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Theres a new(ish) card coming out from Radeon, the 256Mb x850XT PRO.

Don't know if its any good because I haven't bothered to read the reviews on it yet but thought I`d drop that in here anyway just incase the thread starter is still looking.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

ive heard of it, i read about its as "the card ati want you to have but not know about" whats that all about?
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Found a nice little link if anyone is interested in taking a look:

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1761/
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am pro 6800gt. I personally don't like the ATI's as much because they aren't really as fun of a company as nVidia. I have the 6800GT with the core clock overclocked to 390mhz (almost an ultra) and it runs sweeeeeet with all of my games. I always put all of the settings on FULL and it doesn't have any lag or anything. I am talking full AA and 16X Antrioscopic Filtering, Very High detailed shadows and lighting effects, full textures and such.

If you are squeezed for money the 6800 is a nice alternative though for about $100 less. It only has 128mb of memory and it has less pixel pipelines and one less vertex shader. They make a difference, but it is up to you whether that is worth $100.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't have a preference of supplier, I really couldn't care less who my money goes to. All I like to know is that I`m getting a decent peice of hardware.

At the time of building my current system [getting outdated now] the Radeon 9800 Pro was THE card to go for as it was having less problems with the then current games compared to nVidia's model. Times have changed though and as Truce pointed out the nVidia 6800 series is doing VERY well in all areas and if I was looking to upgrade, I would probably go down that road [*Drools at the thought of two 680Ultras in SLI*].

The link to the ATI was just an imformative link incase anyone wanted to give it a read. I like reading about new hardware even if I have no intention of buing it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts