Graphic Card Problem

• JustinPhilip

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am using a Sapphire Radeon X1800 GTO2. I have had it in my machine since last October. Today I installed a TV tuner capture card and had been using it all day recording myself playing video games and watching tv. I leave my computer idle for about 30 minutes and when I come back I get an error from the graphic card software. I restart my computer and it doesn't did fix it so I reinstalled all the drivers for the graphic card, I removed the TV tuner capture card I had installed earlier in case that was causing the problems, and even took out the graphic card and put it back in just in case it wasn't fully in. I don't know what else to do. I have another card that works just fine so there is something wrong with the card and I don't know what to do from here. Oh and I am using XP SP2.

Here is a screenshot of the problem. It says something about the VPU Recovery tried to recover something since there was an error with the driver. But reinstalling the driver didn't work. Any suggestions?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

What was the exact error message? Are there any errors in the event viewer?
  • JustinPhilip

Post 3+ Months Ago

The message I received was the one in the picture, saying "VPU Recovery reset my graphics accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphic driver commands. After I went to dont send I was asked to restart the computer. Nothing happened after I restarted it. Just problem with this same message. I disable the VPU Recovery just in case that had something to do with it but that didnt work either. I completely removed and reinstalled all drivers and software for the graphic card, monitor, and the newely installed TV Tuner card (just in case that had something to do with it). No luck. Right now I am using an older spare card that works fine. But I would like to know what is going on with this one. I think its a great card for what I do and I don't want to have to go out and get another one unless this one is dead.
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are the fans spinning on the X1800?
I read a similar problem a while back where the fan on the ATI card had melted slightly and stopped moving causing it to overheat.

Which ATI Catalyst driver version are you using?
  • JustinPhilip

Post 3+ Months Ago

The fans are spinning. It is the latest driver on the ATI website but I also tried the drivers from the CD that came with the card. Someone suggested that my PSU may have been too weak after I had installed the TV tuner card. But would a too weak of power supply cause this?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Always search google for error messages. There are plenty of hits for
VPU Recovery reset my graphics accelerator

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts