2 Graphic Cards

• Contingent
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Contingent
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I've asked around, and I can't seem to get an actual answer to this. I've always been a fan of those gaming PC's and their performance, but the price was too much. So I was thinking, why not take 2 graphic cards and use them simultaneously? ( I spelled it wrong I think?) Anyways, I want to know whether it's possible to split graphic responsibilities between 2 cards, making the draw on them 50%, give or take, less. I'm not sure it's possible, but if it is, I'd like to try it! Try to give me a break, I don't know much about PC's so you'll have to excuse me if this is normal common knowledge. -Zach
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

They already do that, it's called SLi, use google and wikipedia to find out more.
  • Contingent
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Contingent

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright, that's exactly what I was asking. It's intriguing, yet sounds almost as expensive? I'm going to look into buying a PC with this kinda hardware, unless they don't come that way. I'll have to look around, that'll be my best bet.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can buy them pre built, but they are pricey. When you are shopping for parts to build a computer with SLi, be sure your mother board is compatible. You can't just stick two video cards in a computer and call it good, the mother board is specially adapted and there is a little part that physically connects each card so they can share processing power.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

SLI is the NVidia term for it, if you are running ATI cards you will be using Crossfire ... they both do the same thing, but one is only for NVidia Cards/Cards with GeForce chipsets ... so first you'll have to decide what you are going to run ...

Also please note that this will not double your PC's graphics performance, it gives on average about a 30% to a 70% boost ... and that is only if the game you are playing does actually support multiple GPUs ... For Instance, Doom3 does not support SLI/Crossfire but newer games like Crysis, UT3 etc do support it ...

And as for me ... for now I'd rather not buy two cheaper cards, but one card that costs the same as those two together ... right now I'd rather buy the GTX280 than anything else ...
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I currently have an 8800 GTS on an SLI-ready mobo and I've been considering buying another and doing the whole SLI thing, but with the recent price cuts in the 8800 GT series, I'm wondering if I should just buy two new cards.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
I currently have an 8800 GTS on an SLI-ready mobo and I've been considering buying another and doing the whole SLI thing, but with the recent price cuts in the 8800 GT series, I'm wondering if I should just buy two new cards.

Which GTS do you have ... I also have one ... I've got the XFX 8800GTS Fatal1ty which is the factory overclocked one by XFX ... but it just isn't quite enough for those mean games like crysis, I really want something like the 280GTX ... it's a 1GB Card on it's own with immense power ... Anyway, just think whe SLIing two of those ... wow ...
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mine's an EVGA (I have an EVGA motherboard).

The reason I've been considering selling it to buy two GT's is that the GT's are thinner and from what I've heard, generate far less heat.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is true ... the GTSs are very hot for some reason ... That's one of the reasons I bought myself a huge-ass fan the other day and put it next to my case ...

//edit ... you have 4445 posts ... I missed seeing the 4444 with one post ...
  • Contingent
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Contingent

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, if I ever plan on doing this I'll need a much newer system. I'm running on a XP Home Edition Version 2002 Compaq Presario with AMD Athlon Xp 2800+ and 2.07 GHz, and I ante'd up the RAM from the original 512 MB to 1 G, with a Nvidia Geforce 5500 FX. lol, props go to the system info in the Control Panel. It's not a perfect computer by all means, but it plays Battlefield 2 without any lag of the sort. (Most of the time, 64 player games are a No No for me.)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts