Graphic Design PC

• clicky
  • Student
  • Student
  • clicky
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I intend to buy and assemble these parts at the end of Summer 2005, before entering college. The computer is designed to handle intense multitasking in a graphic design environment (adobe, macromedia, 3ds max, etc, --several at a time). The reason I chose Xeons over amds and p4 EE is because of the combination of dual processors and hyperthreading to allow for the multitasking. Although I have included a liquid cooling kit, I do not intend to overclock a system that will be new and expensive. The reason for the cooling is noise reduction (one of the things I'm still not sure will be worth it, please advise), and I chose cheap Transcend ram because I do not intend to overclock. The cheap sound card and 5.1 system was something I'm just throwing in there for recreation, but again advice in that area is welcome too. The case I chose is pretty big, but please let me know if it is fine or should be switched to a full tower (remember, even if its a little cramped the non-overclocked liquid cooling should make it fine). My budget limit for the system is $2500

The system (I'm not sure, but you might have to have a newegg account to view it): http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishHistor ... ID=1462559

Thanks for your time and any criticsm is appreciated,
-clicky
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you're really serious about image editing, I would look into a higher quality monitor.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

As suggested, I would opt for a higher definition VDU and perhaps a better graphics card if I was you.

I would also advise you perhaps look into either getting another HDD or a larger capacity HDD.

I'm not all that clued up on dual CPU systems and how they work, but from reading another thread I was informed that not all applications take advantage of dual CPU's. Before you go spending large amounts of money on two Xeon processors make sure you really need them. Just as a precaution, you never know, you may be able to get away with a P4EE or AMD 64 FX55.
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would buy a new Dual Core "Pentium Extreme Edition" or maybe a Dual Core Athlon 64. These will allow you to use standard ram instead of registered ram and may well be cheaper. You can also use all of the grapfic design programs on them as dual cores work similarly to dual processors. The new "Pentium Extreme Editon will run at 3.2Ghz on each core, have 2 effective cores and Hyper Threading on both cores. This makes for a total of 4 "Cores" this should be able to keep up with Xeons for the same or a cheaper price. It will also enable you to buy cheaper ram and a normal motherboard.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

You need to get 2, 19" Monitors (1 TFT one Flat CRT) and 1 GB Ram. I have 2 TFT’s at work but TFT has not got the image quality of a Trinitron Flat CRT so at home I have the best of both worlds.

2 monitor’s gives you the power to view your work at full screen on the CRT monitor and the other (TFT) can be used to put all your floating pallets.

I don’t recommend 2 CRT’s because they take up too much desk space and colours look much more vivid on a TFT (almost like special pantone colours for print!) And so you want to see what it looks like to users on TFT if you do web work.

Problems with TFT include too much sharpening giving solid blocks of colour an outline (Samsung suffer from this)! And solid blocks of colour a gradient (Samsung suffer from this)!!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts