Graphics Card Debate ATI/Nvidia

• Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all
I need a new vid card and I have narrowed down my choices to 2 very similarily priced cards...

which should i have
Geforce fx 5900 128mb 8x agp
ATI Sapphire 9800pro 128mb 8x agp

i have been browsing hardware forums for a while now but i need some advice from normal people lol
I start a thread and all i get is
"ATI rule, Nvidia are crap!"
"Nvidia Are the best, screw ATI"

so can i just have a normal debate as to which and why...

thanks! 8)
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I've been using ATI for the last 6 or 7 years and never had any problems aside from the video capture on my ol' 32Meg AGP Rage Fury Pro 128 VIVO not working on the Soyo 5EHM motherboard (but I had a Pinnacle Studio DC10+ so that was no biggy, heh) and a couple of game incompatibilities under Win2K (The Morrowind map editor for example).

Right now, I've got two ATI cards in here..

64Meg AGP Radeon 8500 Dual Head (used to be a Radeon DDR VIVO)
64Meg PCI Radeon 7500 Dual Head

This gives me a total of 4 monitor outputs for a nice big desktop - although, only one monitor hooked up to it at the moment due to lack of deskspace, heh.

3D runs good enough, 2D runs lightning fast. I've seen NVidias on similar spec systems to the ones I've had, and generally I've been more impressed with ATI. I've been an ATI Guy ever since I switched from my dual 12Meg Creative VooDoo2's oh so many years ago :)
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol...

thanks..

i forgot to say that i would be using the new vid card for gaming ;)
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

For gaming my ATI works great. Personally, if I had a good amount of money to spend on my PC right now, my first purchase would be the 256Meg Radeon 9800 (or whatever the latest incarnation of it is), which has like a $500 price-tag.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been an ATI guy since the days of their Mach64 card - almost 9 years ago now that I got my first ATI. And I have been with them ever since. I have had great performance from all of my ATI cards.

This stuff all came from a review in a mag. I can't get the exact numbers cause I can't find the mag, but here is what I remember.
Clock speeds
Nvidia: 450mhz
ATI: 412mhz

At 640x480, both cards displayed a very high frame rate, although the Nvidia displayed more than 100 FPS faster than the ATI. However, as the resolution was bumped, the Nvida rapidly slid, while the ATI card declined slowly. At 1024x768, the ati beat the Nvidia by 70%.

The pictures from the ATI looked superior throughout, and it ran fairly cool, while the nvidia, which took up two slots because of the massive cooling fan, still gave off a fair amount of heat.

I can't remember what game was being used to test it.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Personally I prefer ATI, I currently own the 9700 Pro and I love it. The drivers are stable which nVidia has a history of having screwed up drivers. ATI usually beats out nVidia in most benchmarks until recently. The 5950fx beat the 9800XT by a slim margin that would not be noticeable to the naked eye so I would still go with ATI. The newer nVidia cards for some reason take up 2 slots. You lose one PCI slot just for a video card. Seems rather stupid to me. Their cooling design is rediculous as well. Sounds like a jet taking off. SO I would recomend ATI to anyone.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

the reason the nvidia's cooer is so big is because the chip gives off so much heat, and that's only because nvidia is pushing the technology of the chip past what it is capable of by bumping up the clock speed.

I have a mobo which only has 3 pci slots. I can't afford to loose a PCI slot to a graphics card. I also have a PCI card that only works (at all) when in the top slot, and I could not use this card if I bought an nvidia
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a GeForce 3, but if I were tro build a new computer for myself I think I would go with ATI. A while back I built a new computer for someone, and I used a ATI Radeon 9800 All-In-Wonder, and I was definetely impressed with its performance. Although my GeForce card is a few years older than the Radeon card that I used here, the Radeon card killed my GeForce with benchmark tests. I have also heard that the latest GeForce cards are very noisy compared to Radeon, but it has been awhile since I looked into this, so I am not sure if GeForce finally fixed their problem.
  • Blackdeath
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Post 3+ Months Ago

I vote for ATI, specially their latest card the Radeon 9800XT, in all the benchmarks I have seen it pretty much owns Nvidias Geforce5950FX. Also I remember readin a few articles 3 or 4 months ago telling how Nvidia cheats on the 3dmark tests optimizing their cards for test but actual gameplay is totally different on the home pc. I have beeen a firm Nvidia supporter for the past few years but now I am switching over to ATI. http://www.xbitlabs.com http://www.tomshardware.com
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Like I mentioned in my post. A recent benchmark went to nVidia but by such a slim margin it doesn't matter. And it could have been the result of tweaking the card specifically for benchmark tests. Quite frankly if a Video Card that has a lower clock speed can perform as good or better as a card with higher clock speeds I will go with the lower. AMD used to do it to Intel all the time. ATI has been doing it to nVidia. Supposedly the Nvidia cards are much quiter then they were when they came out with that ridiculous fan but I am sure it is much louder then the 9800XT. What will be interesting to watch is when the PCI express cards come out. Then we will see some serious graphics cards come out. They are expected to hit sometime this year.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol...

so the 9800pro it is then lol

i aint to fussed about noise
(although my new comp has 1, YES 1 single fan in it 'on cpu')

i was mainly wondering cus of price...
money is kinda shart atm and i really need an upgrade (ut2k3 a real drag on 9200se) and both cards are about £170

nvidia dont take up a pci slot...it depends on the manufacturer, they make their own custom designs for heatsinks so it aint there fault :P
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

nVidia 5900FX
Nucleo wrote:
nvidia dont take up a pci slot...it depends on the manufacturer, they make their own custom designs for heatsinks so it aint there fault

Seems you are mistaken. This board is made by nVidia and it clearly takes a PCI slot away from you. Unless you can show me an FX board that doesn't I'll retract my statement.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

i dont have any pictures lol...

actually....

the leadtek winfast has a very slim design...
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
nvidia dont take up a pci slot...it depends on the manufacturer, they make their own custom designs for heatsinks so it aint there fault

From what you posted I thought you said that nVidia's cards do not take up a pci slot but other manufacturer's of nVidia cards do because they can design them any way they want for the most part. But cards built exclusively by nVidia do indeed take up a pci slot. All those other companies that use the nVidia chip can build the card the way they want. That winfast card looks interesting enough, i don't think I would put that in my machine even if I like nVidia cards.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nvidia dont make their own cards anymore...

find me an nvidia card that is made soley by nividia...they dont, other companies make cards for them using their chipset.

ATI have their own brand, no nvidia
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nucleo wrote:
ATI have their own brand, no nvidia

If you look hard enough, you CAN still find cards made by ATI (only). But almost all of the ATI cards on the market now are made by other manufacturers using the ATI chips.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes, thats what i meant....
nvidia dont have their own brand...ATI do...
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I forgot that nVidia stopped making cards. You got me on that one. ATI still makes their cards and they are not hard to find. My 9700 Pro is ATI. Personally I wouldn't buy an ATI card made by anyone else.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

np ;)
my next ATI card will be made by sapphire. very cheap atm...and gr8 performer
  • rubahneck
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • rubahneck

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey... it's all about the numbers guys. I've been a die hard Nvidia user since the orginal Geforce3 that I still own. I got it because it was about the numbers and new ground breaking technology. I've just recently accuired a 5950FX Ultra and I've noticed that it's just slower in some benchmarks. I also own the Radeon 9800Pro which is smooth as butter. Nvidia needs to write better drivers. I love the 'heman-ish' 5950FX though!
  • ligerzero03
  • ligerzero03

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't get me wrong, I have a NVidia, but in actual FPS, ATI wins true, but on the other hand if any of you have ever taken the time to really look at the visual differences in their graphics quality, you will see that NVidia's look crisper, sharper, and overall more appealing. I played Midnight club with an ATI, then with an NVidia, both of similar specs and although the ATI beat in FPS, NVidia had the quality game all wrapped up. So if you are willing to give up some frames for a higher quality picture, then go for the NVidia's, not to mention they have lower tags than ATI's if you look hard enough.

Oh and BTW, I have two systems, one with the NVidia, and one with an ATI AIW. So I do know the best of both worlds.
  • ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: somewere over there

Post 3+ Months Ago

well accordnig to reviews no one card is better its really about price and preference so far the one on top would be ati due to better frame rate as far as images one does better in some games then in others biggest diffrence i saw in the review was in halo ATI did much better light effects check it out yourself Review
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes
considering that the 'Next Gen' cards are just around the corner I will be saving a little cash ad buying a Gefroce fx 5700U, this should tide me thru until I buy one of the Next Gen Beasts! :D
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
Personally I wouldn't buy an ATI card made by anyone else.

Same here...

If the box says "Powered by ATI", then it's somebody else using ATI's chips, and I personally wouldn't buy them.

If it says "Built by ATI", then it truly is an ATI card built by ATI, and I'd go for one of those every time.
  • hiryux
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have an ATI Radeon 9600 se and it's really smooth and all... but recently I've found some issues with gaming compabilities, i'm not sure if ATI still has the same problem, but for older games (like battlefield 1942) there was a big problem with blue screen of death hitting me on the head every now and then, and counter strike getting all choppy... (which i fixed both later by updating a heck load of drivers)

i've a friend who has nvidia geforce4, the TI series, and it is surprisingly smooth, even being kinda old (cheaper?).

i don't think he ever had problems with his video card and everyone was really impressed on how smooth it made Max Payne 2 run... compared to another computer which had a nvidia fx series (forget which one exactly) the ti beat it like there was no tomorrow. Both video cards were of 128 mb.

But i'm not personally too familiar with it, my last video card was a riva 8 mb, and that was a WHILE ago.

I don't really knowo about the quality of nvidia, for I never had one, but do check on the ti series, you might find something interesting.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like....http://www.crucial.com/store/listmfgr.asp?cat=Video+Card :D
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32
  • Loc: Western Mass

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a desktop with a ATI Radeon 7000 and I have had very few good experiences with it, I get horrible framerates with it and now since I upgraded to SP2 I have this funny little freezing problem (well more of a studder than a freeze) when I move the mouse in a game using OpenGL.

With that said I also have a Laptop with a ATI Radeon 9000 and I love it the thing works great good framerates in the games I have installed and I have yet to have any sort of major problem.

I also know a lot of people who use the NVIDIA stuff and have no problems with it.

There is a lot of personal preference in this descision my best advice would be to choose an ATI card that your interested in (based on Price, memory, etc) and then find a compareable NVIDIA card and see what kind of benchmarking results you can find. A good starting place for benchmark results in Tom's Hardware.

Base your finial decision on those results whatever benchmarks better would be the better choice.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
np
my next ATI card will be made by sapphire. very cheap atm...and gr8 performer

I have the Sapphire 9800Pro at the moment and its a great little performer. Even in the latest games such as Half-Life 2 and Doom3, I still get playable frame rates.

I have a nVidia card in my PC downstairs and an ATI upstairs, both very similar specs, I must admit its a close call but the ATI provides a smoother ride. That said, I really like the look of the XFX GeForce 6800Ultra but I hear the X800XT is soon to be getting a boost so I think I`ll wait a bit before I upgrade.
  • Mr. Wiggles
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Mr. Wiggles
  • Loc: Brizzle

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just got a Sapphire 9800SE and it is excellent. The games I played before run brilliantly now and it handles World of Warcraft and the Doom 3 demo very well indeed.
I used to have a Radeon 9000 family, and it worked impressively for the spec it was. Go ATI. Go Sapphire!
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

this is an old thread lol

well, after all that i said before i got myself a Geforce 6800 lol

love it to bits, plays hl2 like a dream :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 30 posts