graphics card

• Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a computer a friend messed up quite badly.

Basically there are two graphics cards on the computer. 1 on board, 1 new one hwich she was trying to install. She disabled the on board one to try get the new one working only when she tried to restrat the computer she had screen at all.

No I have got the computer so the onboard grahpics card works again, only im having real trouble installing the new one. It's a PCI G-force FX 520, 128 DDR.

Basically if i add the card when the machine is on it sends the screen blank, like its looking for thgat card. If I add the card before the computer loads it loads it doesnt see the card,.

Im at a loss, any ideas?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

alright u do not have to disable the onboard video card just install all the software before u put the card in then turn off the computer then put the graphics card in and plug the moniter cord into the graphics card that u just put in if u put it in the onboard one u will seee a black screen so after u do that it should be good cuz i had to switch from a ge force 4 mx440 to an Ati Radeon 9600se and all i did was uninstalll the old graphics card software and anything that has to do with it and then install my new software turn it off then put the card in and it worked perfectly but dont forget to get the newest drivers
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Congrats Skirge on typing the longest sentence ever.

You didn't specify where you tried to disable the onboard card. Try going through device manager and disabling the onboard card before installing the new one. Also, disable the onboard in the BIOS and look for a setting that says where to look for a video card first. If it is set to PCI <-> AGP, change it to AGP <-> PCI.
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Skirge wrote:
alright u do not have to disable the onboard video card just install all the software before u put the card in then turn off the computer then put the graphics card in and plug the moniter cord into the graphics card that u just put in if u put it in the onboard one u will seee a black screen so after u do that it should be good cuz i had to switch from a ge force 4 mx440 to an Ati Radeon 9600se and all i did was uninstalll the old graphics card software and anything that has to do with it and then install my new software turn it off then put the card in and it worked perfectly but dont forget to get the newest drivers

I tried this.

I get the message

The graphics Aadapter installed with the system is not compatible with the curent set of drivers. thats when i try and install the software first..... ?
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Let me try give a little more detail to the problem.

if i plug the monitor into the onboard card it workds fine. Everything loads fine all works.

If I plug the monitor into the new card, it loads until it gets to the windows xp balck screen with the logo and the blue bar running underneath then it goes blank. You can tell the computer he as loaded tho from the hard disk activity..

If i try and add the card when the computer is on and plaugged into the onboard then when i add the card ot just goes blank.

If i try disabling the onboard via device manager then it really doesnt make any difference. Windows xp just reinstalls the onboard no matter how i try and load it up afterwareds.

I looked in bios but i dont see a video option, now id have thought it would have been under peripherals setup - however that looks like this -

onboard sound - enabled
onbaord AC'97 Audio Enabled
Onboard AC'97 Modem Enabled
onboard IDE Both
onboard FDC Auto
onboard serials port A Auto
onboard serials port B Auto
Onboard parallel port Auto
parallel port mode EPP
EPP version 1.9

Anyone tell me what i should be changin in bios if thats the answer?
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can you post the motherboard brand and model number?
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

lucassix wrote:
Can you post the motherboard brand and model number?

It would appear to be a "MicroStar MS-6183" fitted into a Tiny computer (Why did they have to go bust....)
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Look for a setting in the BIOS called "Init Display First."
Change it from "Onboard" to "PCI Slot".
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

lucassix wrote:
Look for a setting in the BIOS called "Init Display First."
Change it from "Onboard" to "PCI Slot".

Had a look but that option wasn't there. I went right through the Bios to see if there was anything that looked like it may change the computer from looking at the onboard one to the pci one, but didn't see anything.

I ended up putting a different card in the machine, which installed straight away. So i'll tackle this card with another machine - another day :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts