Hang?

• tommie
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tommie

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi there..
I'll go straight to the point.
Firstly, my computer will start to freeze completely when I'm surfing or playing games.

and when I restart it, the CPU will run but my screen showed "No Signal". I used EWIDO and clear the virus and I even ReFormatted the whole HDD. but the program still occurs.

Now, my computer is free from virus but the freezing thing still occurs. May I know whether the problem lies with the graphics card or the motherboard? I will have to open my CPU cover and unplug and plug in my graphics card then my computer will work.. but it still freezes randomly.

please guide me through this.
Thank You.
  • hyawatha15
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • hyawatha15
  • Loc: Antioch, IL

Post 3+ Months Ago

if anyone can help you, we will need your system specs.
  • tommie
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tommie

Post 3+ Months Ago

Err.. the computer with problems is with my girlfriend. So i try to give u whatever i can..Sorry about that.
I give u a brief description on it.

P4 2.66GHZ
2X512MB TWINMOS RAM DDR
100GB HDD
MS XP SP 2
SONY DVD/RW
Graphics Card i think is X200 Pro (not AGP).
Realtek Network Card.

This is what I can provide.SOrry about that. Is this sufficient?
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is your computer "hanging" or just not showing you any visual display ?

Have you tried disabling your GPU or swapping it for another card ?
  • tommie
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tommie

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've tested my RAm and no problem with it. MY screen will freeze completely from wat I'm doing. The mouse and keyboard are not functioning. If I'm surfing the net, the Screen will freeze at that particular page.

I've tried to reformat my drive but this still happens. I haven't tried disabling the card because I can't find an extra one unless I buy a new one.

Now, there is a new problem. I can use the computer on a random basis, meaning if I am lucky, the screen will have display. And so, if i'm that lucky, i can use the computer. Then after i shut down and turn it on after a few hours, the screen doesn't show any display.

Why does it occur on random basis? based on ur experience, what problem u think causes it?

Thanks!
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

As I suggested in my previous post, remove your graphics card and try using your computer with just the motherboard graphics and see if the problem still occurs.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's if the motherboard has onboard video. Could be a number a things, but you are definately looking at bad hardware or a bad power supply.

Can you give us the exact specs on the machine? Make and Model if its a Dell, IBM, HP, Gateway, etc... If it is a custom built machine from a mom & pop computer shop (hey, that rhymes!) then we will require the make and model of all the parts in the machine - most noticeably the Power Supply, Video Card and Motherboard.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

The majority of motherboards have onboard graphics but yes, fair point none the less. ;)

If he doesn't have onboard, then borrowing someone else compatible GPU would be a good plan.

@ Tommie :

tommie wrote:
Now, there is a new problem. I can use the computer on a random basis, meaning if I am lucky, the screen will have display. And so, if i'm that lucky, i can use the computer. Then after i shut down and turn it on after a few hours, the screen doesn't show any display.

Does your computer still have power ... I.E. do the fans start/still spin etc or is there no power at all ?
  • tomrulez
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: England!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

Could be an overheating issue, does the computer eventually unfreeze? Does it flash up any error messages?
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

tomrulez wrote:
Could be an overheating issue, does the computer eventually unfreeze? Does it flash up any error messages?

might be if it is not a video card problem..
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Still don't have enough specifics to figure out what the problem could be.

He might just have a crappy PSU or a bad video card (maybe bad video card drivers). He could just be using an ATi :lol:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts