Hard Disk on Different Mother Board

• madmax
  • Born
  • Born
  • madmax

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi everybody..

I wonder if I can get some help from you experts here !!

I have bought a computer with an ASUS motherboard and I would like to move my old HD from ol PC to it.

Problem is.. its can't see the system and it will not recognise the floppy drive although it is read as drive A in the screen where it shows all disk and cd drives on the computer at startup.

Any help would be great..
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. Have you set the jumpers of your old HD to slave? You must do this for it to work.

2. You also use the same cable that plugs into your master and you will see a slave socket on it that connects to the slave.

If non of the above how old is your old HD? I am thinking of connecting an old P200 to my new kit but I bet it runs the chance of slowing the newer hardware down.
  • madmax
  • Born
  • Born
  • madmax

Post 3+ Months Ago

Jumpers are set ok... I don't know how old HD is.. but I tried other HDs but still no luck.

Is it anything to do BIOS?
  • Dark Civilian
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Dark Civilian

Post 3+ Months Ago

well i think tht ur parts dont repsond wiv each other becuase its like puttin a mini engine in a ferrari shell it jus wont happen ok, i advise you doin reaserch and findin if the parts respond wiv each other if they dont then u need a new HDD drive for ur comp and ur floopy i hve no idea wots wrong but the HDD is old and ur puttin it in a new computer they wont be compatible sory ma8 ur gunna hve to replace ur HDD drive wiv a more up to date one and make sure they are compatible.

Dark Civilain
  • bigcheeez
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bigcheeez

Post 3+ Months Ago

If its an ide drive and the 40 pin ide plug fits, then I doubt that its too old to be recognized.

You can play around with some bios settings to try to fix this. Go to hard driive detection and see it the bios detects it - making sure jumpers are all ok. Also try changing the drive type to "AUTO."

If that doesn't work then make sure the controller on the motherboard can detect another hd.
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry, D.C. all computer parts nowadays are pretty much standardized... if the cable fits itll work...

so unless the HD you have is ancient, then there shoud be no problem.... heck, i got bored one day and stuck a 10-year-old 400mb HD in my fileserver because i got bored... (on a side note, all the parts in that box are over 5 years old) it worked fine...

just a minor note, if you have your jumpers set to cable-select, i reccomend you manually set them to master/slave... i had a problem with that when i got a new secong HD for my comp... that fixed the probelm...
  • Dark Civilian
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Dark Civilian

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok *shrug* just a shugestion*

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts