Hard Drive clicks and computer freezes

• Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Recently, after returning from Denmark, I came back to my house and turned on my computer, and low and behold - My hard drive will click sometimes, and then after it does this, my computer will just lock up. I think this means that it might be time for a new hard drive but I wasn't sure. Is there anything else that it might be?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not really. Sounds like your hard drive just bit the dust. RIP
  • pramitroy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • pramitroy

Post 3+ Months Ago

At which step does it freeze? Can it boot at all?
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea it boots fine. At random points while on the computer (not specific to what i'm doing on the comptuer) the hard drive will make a clicking noise, and then the computer will freeze. So I figured it was probably just my hard drive dying. Just wanted to be sure.
  • pramitroy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • pramitroy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Then schedule a checkdisk at the next reboot.
If you are in Windows, right-click on C: > Properties > Tools > "Check Now" under error checking > Under Check disk options, select the both the check boxes and then click Start > confirm to scan at next startup.
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Pramitroy - I did what you said, and actually upon returning back to windows, the hard drive still clicked and computer froze again. Unfortunately I don't think it fixed it. Thank you though.
  • pramitroy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • pramitroy

Post 3+ Months Ago

You may wish to check it on another machine if you are going to replace it.
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good Idea. I'll probably do it on my brothers computer. I may not get back to you for a while though. Thanks for the idea.
  • xamix
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xamix

Post 3+ Months Ago

That sound usually means that the disk has a bad sector and cnnot be writen or read in that part of the disk...
It can be or not recovered.In order to do it you will need to use an HD recovering tool like spinrite or HDD regenerator (those progs will check your disk and try to repair it),if it´s impossible to recover that sector there´s always another solution...you´ve got to see what part of the disk is damaged and make a blank partition with it,that makes that part not to be used and maybe it will work (i have a disk that i had to do that and it´s been working fine since then).
But when a HD begins to do click sounds it´s really a bad signal.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check your power supply.

I had a hard drive that did this when I setup my new PC. It was a brand new hard drive too. I tested it in 2 other PCs, it was perfect.

I bought a new ThermalTake PSU for the case, ditched the cheap crappy stock PSU that came with it, and now have zero problems.

Have you added any new hardware recently that may cause a power drain? How old is your PSU? Perhaps it's just become unreliable. How old is the hard drive? It could be dying after all. How clean is your PC? The fans could be getting overworked trying to blow air through dust, and pulling more power from the PSU, causing a drain to your HD.
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

My hard drive clicks a little too, but does not freeze. This happens during bootup. I think I am getting a new HD for Channukah anyway :P.
  • Sufaca
  • Born
  • Born
  • Sufaca

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unusual, but both my PC and my mothers (in different houses) does the same. Its very annoying. I've done the usual, registry checks and clean, cache cleaning, eset nod scan and everything else I can think of but it still does it.
  • Sufaca
  • Born
  • Born
  • Sufaca

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have just searched this post on another forum. I have the same .I found the problem! I have a Thermaltake Volcano 11+. I am using the manual dial that goes into the front 5.25" bay. The click I heard from the front was coming from the fan controller. The click I heard from the back was coming from the fan itself. I guess something went wrong with the wires ?????? not too sure. But I just wanted to post that in case someone experiences a similar problem.
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member
  • Loc: Conroe, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Note to self "If hard drive clicks....Get new hard drive!"
  • scwirly
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: jackson, tn

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok just had the same problem thought it was my hard drive it was not as when i pulled the after market led light up fan installed i heard the same click and have not had a problem since thank you for mentioning fan power issue !!!!!!!!!! ps read post carefully as he said CLICK FROM Computer not clicks thanks for giving bad advice because your a "typa A personality know it all who was very wrong" hard drive my butt it was a fan controller issue go be a cop since your so good at giving bad advice cause you know it all

i have a dell desktop running xp from 2005 its the only thing that works still since three laptops two tablets an iphone have all let me down i must say they did something right when they made this and yes its a dinosaurous rex but you cant knock it
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

demonmaestro wrote:

agreed.

Transfer your stuff to another computer and wipe and reinstall on new hard drive.

Laptop hard drives are getting cheap too, even with the hard drive factory increasing prices a little. Still at a reasonable price.
  • the_doc735
  • Born
  • Born
  • the_doc735

Post 3+ Months Ago

Zealous wrote:
demonmaestro wrote:

agreed.

Transfer your stuff to another computer and wipe and reinstall on new hard drive.

Laptop hard drives are getting cheap too, even with the hard drive factory increasing prices a little. Still at a reasonable price.

My hard drive was clicking once every few minutes too, which caused the screen to freeze up for a couple of minutes before the whole cycle repeated itself. Of course I did all of the checks in the software and errors were fixed automatically but that made no difference to the problem at all. Software - hard drive status checkers were also used and they said 100% healthy! So, I managed to recover my files and then repartition/format/reinstall windows and then the hard drive was working fine again, as good as new!! Therefore I think your advice to go out and buy a new hard drive without first repartitioning/formating/reinstalling windows IS WRONG!! i.e. this person may not need a new hard drive at all, but simply to reinstall an uncurrupted/new copy of the O/S - like I did, and it worked! Moral of the tale is: repartition/format/reinstall windows BEFORE needlessly wasting hard earned cash on a new HDD.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts