Hard drive issue

• TonyL1
  • Born
  • Born
  • TonyL1

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got a virus and my McAfee caught it, but it was giving me issues so i turned off my computer. After that I could not get my computer to restart in regular or safe mode. Always got hung up. I tried doing the recovery console and various other things and nothing worked.

So I went to best buy and bought an exact replacement hard drive and a slave enclosure kit. I replace the hard drive with the new one, and put the old one in the slave enclosure kit. Everything is up and running. New hard drive comes up as E:\

When I plug in the Slave drive with my old harddrive in it, its not showing up in my computer. I go to Computer Management > Device Manager > Disk drives and it shows up as "Generic External USB Device". But when I go to Disk Management the only thing that shows up top is the E:\ and below it shows Disk 0 and the CD-Rom.

Ive tried tried updating the driver, uninstalling, trouble shooting, and nothing. When I go to properties, it does show it as "working properly."

When I was as Best Buy I talked to Geek Squad and they tried plugging in the hard drive into their "mule" and they said they werent able to get anything.

The Slave drive does run, I can hear it, and it is lit up. I have tried everything I can think of. This harddrive has everything on it and my last back up was in June...argh!

I am pretty literate with computers but I will probably need some pretty step by step help.

I am operating on Windows XP (all up to date with updates).
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why are you surprised that it shows as a USB device? That's exactly what it is when you use a HD enclosure. The only way it could be a slave drive is if you connected it internally to the ribbon cable & set the jumpers to slave.
  • TonyL1
  • Born
  • Born
  • TonyL1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im not surprised. Im just stating what I know. It shows as such, but wont show in "My Computer". Im asking for help in accessing my old harddrive so I can get my things off of there. This is the first time I've ever dealt with this sort of thing. I dont know where to connect the ribbon cable or what jumpers are or how to set those or where to set those. I was just hoping to do it via "My Computer" but Im having issues so I was providing as much info as possible.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

So just trying to understand more. How are you plugging your old hard drive in? Can you let us know specifically what hard drive you are working with?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

The USB enclosure should be all you need. If it Windows doesn't give it a drive letter in my computer, then the drive is probably shot.

If you still want to connect it as a slave drive, you have to open the box & connect 2 plugs to it. One is white, which provides the power & the other is on the ribbon cable. Set the jumper on the back of the drive first. There is a small plastic jumper that has to be aligned to where the SL mark is.
  • TonyL1
  • Born
  • Born
  • TonyL1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its a Sata HD 320 GB 5400 RMP. I put the old HD into a RF 2.5" SATA HD Enclosure Kit and have it plugged in via a USB cable. Again it shows up in disk management as funtioning or working properly, but it doesnt show in my computer at all.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does the mother board of the PC that you are using to view the SATA drive have a SATA controller & is it enabled in the BIOS?
  • TonyL1
  • Born
  • Born
  • TonyL1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Honestly I am not sure. I will need to check. I know how to get to my bios. where would this be in my bios tho?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm having second thoughts on what I told you because that should only matter if you were connecting it internally, which you still can try. SATA to USB should work as long as the drive isn't corrupt.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts