Hard Drive Overclocking

• Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am new to overclocking and I already have fast RAM and a fast CPU. I am waiting a lot on my HDD and I was wondering what nees to be done to overclock my HD and if you guys have any do's and don'ts. I know I can just google it, but I would rather have many peoples opinions.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I never heard of over-clocking a hard drive. They're limited by their rotation speed. Increasing that significantly, if it's possible, would probably generate too much heat or just render the drive unusable. Those are just guesses on my part but I'd say the best thing you could do is invest in a faster drive.
  • ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: somewere over there

Post 3+ Months Ago

hardrives are mechanicle thus u cant overclock ... you can over clock any other peice of hard ware in your computer by increasing current and voltage. not a hard drive. jim is right get a western digital raptor
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

You best upgrade to SERIAL ATA drive that runs at 10,000rmp or RAID two hard drives.
  • ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: somewere over there

Post 3+ Months Ago

:: points up :: the western digital raptor is sata and works at 10000 rpm
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have actually overclocked a harddrive by increasing the electromagnetic charge in the spinners and on the reader itself.

The result: The drive exploded and I got a nasty burn on my hand. Dont try this at home kids!!!!

Seriously though, I did wonder what spinning the drive faster than normal would do to it, so I did, and it shattered and shocked me like I said. Each drive is not only a prebuilt piece of hardware that MUST stay clean to function properly, but it is also very precise. Think about it. Putting 160 Gigs of info on one drive has gotta be precise, and being precise it requires very select physics and movements to operate. Perhaps in the future drives can be made faster by a user, but then, who would want to. They'll be fast enough. :)
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

:lol: I think the HD is the worst thing you need crashing or broken!
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

No kidding. If anythiong else fails, you can just transfer your HD over to another computer. If the HD itself fails or is blown out, your toast.
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

mmmm, toast. Image
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Glad you said something. At the time I was writing that post I was, in fact, eating 4-5 pieces of toast all at once while periodically shoving crusts down my cats throat. It was G-R-E-A-T, great!

:lol:
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm.....I thought I heard of it before......

Why do they have HDD coolers then??? Don't HDD's work without needing that kind of stuff?
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some overlockers are misguided fools or its to make the harddrive last longer cos we all know that changes in temperature cuase metal to expand (plastic to contract). The less temperature changes the longer it should last.
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

they have harddrive coolers because you need them for the 10,000 rpm harddrive.... at that speed in a high temperature room they will not last long.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Surely HD coolers had be available before 10,000rpm drives? And if 10,000rpm needed a cooler they would come with one. Room temperature should be insignificant.
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can understand what you said about it not making sense, but dont think that room temperature is insignificant. In my old house(that had no A/C) I would overclock the processor by 150 during the winter, but during the summer by only about 50. Room temperature can have a great deal to do with the cooling needed for any system, including a HD> ;)
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your correct but your talking about the processor and overclocking. Hard drives can not be overclocked and so room temperature should not matter or the hard drive designers are morons :)
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol...my room is always the coldest room in the house....good thing cause I live in Arizona! Hot Hot Hot!
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

How about CacheMan. May help speed things up?

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_d ... 267,00.asp
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

what kinds of programs do you trust and use off of that site Johan007 ? I was thinking about getting that clean system directory program, would your recomend that one?
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

So far I have only used MindSoft Registry Cleaner. Sure I was scared at first but it works really well. I will try some more like the CachemMan though my drive already has 8MB Cache.
  • harbmaster
  • Born
  • Born
  • harbmaster

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, this was before i got to understand computers a little bit. I bought a customized compaq computer, Well something went wrong with the system so i had to system restore it but the problem didn't go away or so it seemed. So their came with one of the labtops we have( i have a desktop) a microsoft windows xp home edition, well i installed it on my desktop and my computer seemed to work, but the only problem was my harddrive was now 31 gigs instead of its original factory standards of 80 or 70 somewhre around that. well lately i've been very interested in fixing my computer, but to answer some question, yes your harddrive can be over clocked coz i did it before but it end up being 1000000 gigs( hard to believe) but my computer crashed that instant so i went back into bios and set it back to normal, I just need someones help if they can help me to over clock my harddrive back to 80 instead of it being 31. but ya it can be overclocked but if not done completely right your computer wont be able to handle or even recognize it( from experience) but can someone please help me to over clock it the right way. I know the hard drive is a samsung and thats about it. my email is harbmaster2000@yahoo.com
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats not overclocking, thats a damaged FAT or BIOS settings. You can write a table that says it has 1000000 gigs of space available, but it really does not have the space to do so. Thats like taking a 4 bedroom house and putting a sign out front saying it has 500,000 rooms in it or slapping a 500HP sticker on a Volvo.

To answer your questions, you need to use Disk Management or even FDISK to remove all the incorrect partitions on the drive, give it a new partition of 100% of the disk space, and then format it.
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

Smokenjoe wrote:
I can understand what you said about it not making sense, but dont think that room temperature is insignificant. In my old house(that had no A/C) I would overclock the processor by 150 during the winter, but during the summer by only about 50. Room temperature can have a great deal to do with the cooling needed for any system, including a HD> ;)

oh ya he is right, room temp is significant. my cpu runs at 36c to 38c at 70% to 90% load in the winter.
now in the summer or when it is hot in my room it will run at 40c to 44c at 70% to 90% load..
thats still "cool" only cose of the 4 80mm case fans.
but the point is that room temp matters, whats the point of slowing hot air to cool a cpu?
windchill dose not do the same on non-living things as it does to us or living things.
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Simple answer thats been given already

No, You can NOT overclock your hard drive.
  • crackbabies
  • crackbabies

Post 3+ Months Ago

The hard drives have a specific rpm for a reason.
The platter(the part of the hard drive that stores the data) is
made out of aluminium/alloy or glass/ceramic composite.
So if the spindle(the part that holds the platter in place)
is rotating faster than it should be it will wobble.
In effect it will make the platter wobble and will
potentially crack and explode.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 25 posts