• MrStrype
  • Born
  • Born
  • MrStrype
  • Loc: Utah

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all, I'm new here.

However, I'm not new to computers. :lol:

My problem is this...I have 3 Hard Drives in this computer, and the Western Digital 60 Gig drive is full of music. I know it was working earlier with XP Home edition, as I burned some CDs for my sons with songs from that Hard Drive.
Then, after Updating XP Home to XP Pro (And it was an update over Home, not a fresh install...didn't want to go through the setup of all the programs again.), XP Pro says that the 60 Gig Drive is NOT formatted :?:
(Pro can read both of the other hard drives.)
I took the drive in question out and put it into another computer here with XP Pro, and it also says the drive is not formatted.
Now what happened?
I started thinking that maybe that particular drive isn't NTFS and the others are? Not quite sure why that would make a difference with Pro but not Home?
Any ideas? (I have yet to test it on a computer with a different OS)
Also, Both of these computers were upgraded from Home to Pro in the same manner.

640 MB RAM
AMD 750 Mhz Processor.
The other 2 drives are 1. Western Digital 30 Gig and 2. Maxtor 40 Gig.

Any help would be appreciated, as I DON'T want to lose that music!...A lot of my own band and a lot of work that went into remixing tracks etc are on that drive. :(

Thanks in advance,
~MrStrype
  • MrStrype
  • Born
  • Born
  • MrStrype

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anyone :?: :?
  • ViPi
  • ViPi

Post 3+ Months Ago

If its totally full, or thereabouts, then have a look at possible problems to do with firmware
A friend of mine had to recode WDs firmware to work properly with a full drive and allegedly its an inherant problem with all WD drives

Have you also thought about using drive inspecter software of some sort?
  • MrStrype
  • Born
  • Born
  • MrStrype

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the reply!
No I haven't done that yet, any recommendations for which program you like best?
I have recently put the hd into a computer with win 98se, and it can still see the drive and access the music. I've also confirmed that this drive is fat 32 and the other two are ntfs.
I've been thinking that maybe I should just get another hard drive, format it ntfs, then copy all the music over to that drive.
What do you think?
Always,
~MrStrype
  • MrStrype
  • Born
  • Born
  • MrStrype

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, and yea, 59 of the 60 gigs on the drive are used up.
~MrStrype
  • stinger
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • stinger
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

When running a hard drive in windows environment, Microsoft states that the drive will become unstable and begin to generate errors when there is less than 10% of the drive free.!!!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts