Hard Drive Problems

• XPert
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

A co-worker has pulled the power supply out of his pc whilst his pc was turned on (i know). It seems so have affected his other hard drive (slave) which has all of his work saved on it. He told me his computer did some sort of check disk. Then when the pc came back up again he couldn't see any files on it.

I have taken out the hard drive and explored it through another computer. It says that the disk is 55gb full and it has 826mb free. It looks as though his work is on there somewhere? Can anyone help me to recover them. I have unckecked hide folders and the usual to see if the re-appear...

Thanks,
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Arcath
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: New England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ontrack has HD recovery software that is remarkable. It's not free, but it will work. I've used it a number of times and it hasn't let me down yet (even the time I fdisk'ed the wrong drive ::cringe::). The down side to it is that it doesn't recover the files to the same drive, you have to have another drive with enough room to put the files. Look for Ontrack easy recovery, or try download.com and search for 'drive recovery', you might even find something free.
  • bigcheeez
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bigcheeez

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've heard putting the drive in the freezer for a while can help. I have not actually seen this, but I also have never tried it.
  • roarmeow
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: BKNY

Post 3+ Months Ago

No offense, bigcheese... personally, I would never put any electronics in extreme heat or cold... and I think it's kinda crazy to advise someone else to do anything you, yourself, have not done -
"Have I passed on to others anything that I have not tried out myself?" - Confucius

Also, check out RStudio...

it's a lot cheaper than Ontrack and, after my housemate fried a computer real good (the processor had scorchmarks on it... never seen that before) through gross neglicence and stupidity, RStudio was able recover about 90-95% of the data on the harddrive...

http://www.r-studio.com/

50$ if you know what file system you're working with
80 if you don't...
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wouldn't even entertain the idea of doing that.
It sounds like a myth to me.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

actually, it has been tried by several people over a span of several different forums.

they say the "science" behind this method, is that the metal contracts making the head of the HDD sometimes touch the platter, making the drive work.

i would try it on a OK drive, but if youre desperate, well then go ahead.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

moved to hardware

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts