hard drive question (i think)

• kinnerdesign
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi people, pretty sure it's my hard drive doing this, not sure if its a problem or if it's meant to do it but what happens is my computer is kind of quiet but sometimes it goes really loud and sounds rather weird, something tells me its the hard drive, I know they get louder sometimes when they doing things but this just happens randomly even when the computer is just idle or I'm just on the internet.

It does it with my old computer too sometimes, when I was in college the teacher said something about the hard drive does this when it spins too much it can cause noises, or something, I was actually working at the time so I only heard half of what he said as he was talking to a mate about it (mate was having the problem).

Just wondering if anyone could tell me what it is and if it should be something I should be concerned about (this PC is only 5months old)

the hard drive in it is a maxtor 160GB 7200rpm sata, hope this helps

cheers in advanced
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your teacher is correct about the HD spinning and the possibility of it making noise but the fans also spin and can make noise. Open the box so you can be sure of the cause.
  • kinnerdesign
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have done before but didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, cheers for the reply
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maxtor's are notoriously noisy drives. When the drive is very active searching for files or whatever, it's going to spin a lot faster and the noise will increase. I can even hear this on my laptop when I'm paying close attention. I had a maxtor drive one time that was so noisy I replaced it just to get rid of the noise.
  • kinnerdesign
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Maxtor's are notoriously noisy drives. When the drive is very active searching for files or whatever, it's going to spin a lot faster and the noise will increase. I can even hear this on my laptop when I'm paying close attention. I had a maxtor drive one time that was so noisy I replaced it just to get rid of the noise.

ahaha I see, thank you, so there just noisey fullstop, nothing to worrie about ? :P
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you have noise that comes and goes, but not in time with hard drive activity, I'd be willing to bet that you have either a dry fan bearing or debris on a fan causing the fan to be out of balance and cause intermittent vibration and noise.
  • kinnerdesign
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

what do you mean by:

"dry fan bearing or debris on a fan"

is there a way to check this, I recently cleaned the dust from the fans if thats any help
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

You have to have the box opened when it's making the noise. Then you have to locate the source of the noise. Noise creates a vibration and a vibration can be felt. Touch the HD, power supply and the side of the fan near the heat sink. You'll find it.
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

There's a quick and dirty way to do it.

Take the case panel off so that you have access to the fans.

Once the noise is evident, place a finger tip on the back of your fans (one at a time)to stop fan movement, and see if the noise disappears. Remember to only stop the fans for a moment.

By the time that you are getting noise from a fan, it's too late to simply blow the dust off the blades, the bearing has already been affected, you'll need to replace them.

If you do not notice a change in the level of noise, try placing an object like a piece of wooden dowel GENTLY against the hard drive case or the power supply case and lean your head GENTLY against the opposite end of the dowel...this will allow any vibration/sound to be transmitted up the length of wood and be felt/heard by your skull and ear.

Good luck.

C.C.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I used to use a broom stick to determine what cylinder was knocking on a car engine which is basically the same as your method.
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

While I was a GM-trained Dealership mechanic, we usually used a specially modified stethoscope...it used a thin aluminum rod and a thin metal disk to transmit the sound and/or vibration to the ear pieces.

Variations on a theme :-]
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I tried a doctor's stethoscope once and of course it didn't work.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts