My hard drive is really messed up. Help please

• badboybutler
  • Born
  • Born
  • badboybutler

Post 3+ Months Ago

My hard drive was partitioned by windows. This is because i installed 98 first then xp over the top of it. However it has partitioned my disk into a drive of 2gb and a drive of 118 gb. Windows xp is installed onto the smaller drive. At one point i had to re-install xp. It wouldnt let me because there wasnt enough space on the drive. So i installed it on the larger drive. I now have windows installed on both drives.
Windows wont let me format either drive because they both have windows on them. It also wont let me delect the partition for the same reason. Also for some reason i cant un-install either of them.
I think the only solution is to format the drive as a whole disk (both partitions at the same time).
Does anyone know how to do this? Please help.
Cheers
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Jimmie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Ft Worth TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

stick in a boot disk, if u dont have one go to http://www.bootdisk.com and download the stuff to make one.

boot to the disk, select boot with cdrom support. then when you get to the a:\ prompt, type in FDISK. you will want to delete all partitions, then create a new partition and use the max space available, unless you want multiple partitions. after that, reboot the computer with the boot disk in, select boot with cdrom support, and once you get to the a:\ prompt again, format c:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

As an added note - double check the bootdisk in Windows explorer before you fdisk the machine and make sure it has format.com in it. Some bootdisks don't include that by default (Win98se doesn't for example and I always have to go add it).
  • Jimmie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea, I am not positive, but pretty sure all the ones from bootdisk.com are legit.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You're probably right. I usually make mine right off of Windows 98SE 's boot disk creation and they don't include it. That's why I wanted to throw that out there. If format.com is not on the bootdisk he won't be able to format the drive.
  • Jimmie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for adding it, seeing that Im not sure how/where he is gonna get the disk.... thanks again and keep that in mind, badboybutler

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts