Hard Drive - Swap - Need formating?

• sofa_king
  • Student
  • Student
  • sofa_king

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, well long story short, my hard drive broke down yesterday with some bad sectors (OS wouldn't load up) so today I bought myself a new hard drive, installed Windows Xp, everything is fine. However in my PREVIOUS computer setup I had 2 hard drives running 1 with the OS installed and system files (which is the hard drive that is broken) and also I had another hard drive just filled with files (movies, music, etc.)

I was just wondering if there was any way to move that hard drive with all the files, movies, music into my computer setup I have now (with my new hard drive installed w/ windows xp)
I tried just connecting the drive to a SATA port, and booted up windows. However, when I click on the drive it says it needs to be formated.
Is there any way I can get around this since this hard drive has no system files, and only contain files like movies and music

Thanks for the help in advance!
Colin
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Buy an external HD enclosure for that drive and connect it to a USB port. You can copy all your files.
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32
  • Loc: Western Mass

Post 3+ Months Ago

A HD Enclosure will likely give him the same problem he has now.

Please explain exactly how changing the medium used to connect will suddenly fix the drive?

Now for the real answer, you have two options, first you can try running Chkdsk on the drive, it might clean up the drive enough for windows to see it, but I wouldn't have much faith in that.

The other solution that should work would be to use a Linux Live CD, like Knoppix. Download and burn the cd, then hook up both drives and boot off the cd, you should be able to see both drives and just click and drag away.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I didn't say it would fix the drive. He wants to move the files and he will be able to do that.
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32

Post 3+ Months Ago

Then you didn't read the op did you.

If the drive is corrupt then changing the interface isn't going to do a thing. The drive will still be corrupt. Either fix the corruption (i.e. run CHKDSK) or switch to an O/S with a higher chance of ignoring the corruption (i.e. Knoppix).

And best of all both options are free.

If you can't read the entire post before suggesting something that won't work and costs money then you shouldn't bother.
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32

Post 3+ Months Ago

Still awaiting your answer on how changing the interface is a cure for hard drive corruption.
  • netrider7880
  • Student
  • Student
  • netrider7880

Post 3+ Months Ago

sure the check disc will not solve it.the best one is to get to download Knoppix linux live cd.here iam posting you the link that helps you to download the cd.hope it works.http://www.knoppix.net/.After downloading it boot from cd and connect the hard drives and share the files.thank you.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts