My Hard drive won't show up. please HELP!!!

• ugto_ugto
  • ugto_ugto

Post 3+ Months Ago

i bought a western digital 120gig udma/100 recently....removed d previous hard drive(120gig too) from my pc and exchanged it with d new one. tried to boot on d cdrom wit d winxp installer...won't boot nd was askin 4 a startup disk so i did. got a startup disk 4rm winxp. i was able to boot to a: but i cant go to c: and even d: (cd drive)....says "invalid drive spec.."

d new hdd was detected by bios by d way and i used d previous ide connection settings(w/c works) 4 d new one.....WHAT WENT WRONG??

please bless this inexperienced pc fanatic...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Hellsbellboy
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Minnesota

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok. so you booted up with the WinXP start up disk.. did it try to install Windows XP on the new Drive? did you try fdisk?
  • ugto_ugto
  • ugto_ugto

Post 3+ Months Ago

thnx hellsbellboy...but i olredi got it a few hrs l8r. if ur vacant in twearkin pc 4 a long tym..ul juz 4get d basic nd d new ones. imagine.....i 4got dat i used a non-bootable winxp (a copy 4rm a frnd, don't know y its not bootable) and i havent partitioned d hdd. HA! SO STUPID...

by d way... ders no fdisk in d winxp startup disk. or i got d wrong one? i got it 4rm winxp's "create start-up disk" when u ryt clik on d a: ---> format --> chek "create an ms-dos startup disk"
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

please use proper english.

and, no the XP boot disk does not contain fdisk... however you can create a disk with fdisk on it using a 98 machine.

for more information: http://www.itworld.com/nl/win_admin_tips/09202002/
  • ugto_ugto
  • ugto_ugto

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry for the improper english calendae
I knew I could get a hold of the fdisk utility from the win98 os a long long time ago but no one near me got it now.
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

np, you were just making me think to hard, thats all... :P

and here: http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

2 things:

Please do not post multiple topics on the same issue. and second, we like
english on ozzu. Please stop using chatspeak as it will undoubtedly help you
get the help you need quicker.
  • ugto_ugto
  • ugto_ugto

Post 3+ Months Ago

by the way guys, I got this fixed right? So i got the ide1 with the old hdd as my primary master and cdrom drive as my primary slave. then i got the new hdd as my secondary master. when i booted it up, it works fine and detects the new hdd until on the dmi pool, it hangs for a while then ask for a bootable cd. i can't get it why its askin to boot in the cd but i still did it. It runs as if it was an unpartitioned hdd ready to be partitioned and installed with an os. i quit and tried to exchanged the ide1 with the ide2 making the new hdd a primary master and the old one secondary master with the cddrive as my secondary slave. freaky, it works perfectly fine and it boots at the secondary master's os(old hdd), not the primary master's os(new hdd). i tried to copy files to the new hdd to know if its fine...and it works great...no problems. HOW COME??! just curious about the ide's role on why it worked when i switched places
  • Hellsbellboy
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Minnesota

Post 3+ Months Ago

ugto_ugto wrote:
thnx hellsbellboy...but i olredi got it a few hrs l8r. if ur vacant in twearkin pc 4 a long tym..ul juz 4get d basic nd d new ones. imagine.....i 4got dat i used a non-bootable winxp (a copy 4rm a frnd, don't know y its not bootable) and i havent partitioned d hdd. HA! SO STUPID...

by d way... ders no fdisk in d winxp startup disk. or i got d wrong one? i got it 4rm winxp's "create start-up disk" when u ryt clik on d a: ---> format --> chek "create an ms-dos startup disk"

well glad u got it working.. and no WinXP doesn't have fdisk, but wasn't sure if u used a proper WinXP Start up disk (as in Floppy) or a bootable CD or what.. Because if you had used a bootable WinXP cd then it would have shown up with the WinXP installation screens, and the way u described it, I thought maybe u were using a Win98 Startup disk with Dos.
  • lunloon
  • lunloon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got the same problem. Cept it doesn't work with my win xp bootdisk ( right click a: ==> format ==> create ms-dos startup disk). After i booted up with this disk, i cannot access any hard drives even though i installed winxp + sp1 on c:.

Had to boot up from startup disk cos was flashing my bios.
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you're using NTFS partitions- most likely you are- you won't be able to access those from dos.

What OS are you using?
  • lunloon
  • lunloon

Post 3+ Months Ago

i was flashing my bios... and the website of the mamaboard manufacturer was saying something like saving the flasher and the rom on the c: and i startup using boot disk then flash the bios after accessing to the c:.

using winxp + sp1

sp2 makes my system unable to boot. Stuck at windows logo.
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

You'll probably need to flash your bios from a floppy. Try copying the files you need to another floppy and do it from there.

Can you post the link for the bios update you are using?
  • lunloon
  • lunloon

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.msi.com.tw/html/support/bios/note/award.htm
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm surprised by those instructions. They make no mention of not being able to access NTFS partitions from DOS.

Will those files you need to flash the bios fit on another floppy? If not, do you have a CD rom burner and a blank CD?

I forgot about this but another option is to use NTFSDOS.

This allows access to NTFS partitions from DOS. Download the Zip file, place the two files in the archive on your MS-DOS startup disk and then boot with that. Run ntfsdos.exe and see if you can access your bios files on C:\

Actually, it may not be mounted as C: depending on how your partitions\drives are setup. When you run ntfsdos, it will display all ntfs partions that are mounted and the corresponding drive letters. Go to each drive that is mounted until you find your files.
  • lunloon
  • lunloon

Post 3+ Months Ago

in the end i flashed the bios from floppy disk instead... and luckily nothing wrong happened...
  • xman4214
  • Born
  • Born
  • xman4214

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a computer with an Intel Celeron Processor 2ghz and the bus speed is 500mhz and is operating as pc133 and a new harddrive I'am trying to install shows up in the BIOS but Not in the OS and FDISK only shows 1 current Drive how can I fix this Problem. 8)
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Fdisk won't display your drives, you have to specify the drive to Fdisk.
Windows won't show the drive in explorer because no partitions are created on that drive. You need to go to computer management.
Go to Start->Run->and type compmgmt.msc.
Then go to Storage and then Disk Management.

You should be able to see the drive then and partition/format/whatever you like.

I wonder what I can brake playing with Microsoft Management Console.... :twisted:
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

Whatever type of drive (manufacturer it is) came with a disk, use that to format the disk, boot from it it will allow you to format the drive.

WC
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

They ship driver/utility disks with hard drives now? I normally only buy OEM bulk, except for processors - I get them retail for the warrenty.
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

I only buy retail so yes they come with utilities disk, if not when you buy oem then you goto the manufacturers site to get them.

WC

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts