Hard drives not picking up

• Munklesunkie
  • Born
  • Born
  • Munklesunkie

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, so I'm having some problems with my computer.

My dad randomly brought me a computer home, that had windows 2000 on it, and my sister put Ubuntu on it, but I couldn't get anything to work on Ubuntu, so we installed windows XP, and after I did this only my windows partition would show up.

I have three hard drives in the computer, so as you can imagine this is quite frustrating for me! The hard drives are as follows:
Master hard drive: Hitachi Deskstar 80GB Model:HDS728080PLAT20
Slave 1: Maxtor Diamond MAX 160GB PATA133 HDD 10 Model: 6L60PG
Slave 2: Maxtor Diamond MAX 160GB PATA133 HDD 10 Model: 6L60PG

So I tried to follow one of the step by step tutorial to fix this, but when I go to disk management and go to change the letter of the only other partition showing up (the remaining space on my 80GB hard drive) it won't let me. It also refers to the remaining space as 'Unknown Partition', don't know if that helps or anything.

But when I click on on My Computer, and right click the local C: drive and go to properties, and then go to hardware, one of the maxtors are showing up.

So, if someone could help it would be greatly appreciated!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

What OS is on what drive? Were there 3 hard drives installed when your father brought the "random" computer home or did you install the other 2? Ubuntu doesn't label the drives the way windows does, so don't expect to see it in disk management.
  • Munklesunkie
  • Born
  • Born
  • Munklesunkie

Post 3+ Months Ago

When he brought it home, it did have all three hard drives in it. It has Windows XP on it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts