hard drives not present

• jlip
  • Born
  • Born
  • jlip

Post 3+ Months Ago

My desktop has two hard drives and I am running XP. They were working until I ran a copy program and it froze and I had to power off reboot. When rebooting my two hard drives were shown as not present. When I tried to bootup with a floppy, it did not work but using a Norton CD to bootup it did bootup to DOS A: I did setup and CMOS showed the hard drives not present. Put it into AUTO mode for both and tried again but they both were still not found. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, that's strange. I would have done the same thing with the auto detect. What about trying BIOS defaults.

Have you tried one drive at a time? How about connecting it to another machine or an external USB enclosure?
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: 404

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes, try the hdds in another computer as secondary drives. It could be that the chips on them have fried - unless you heard a scraping sound (or not with low rpm?). I had a 10 000 RPM drive which just refused to work one day - as boot or external - turned out the circuitry on it had simply stopped working and it was still under warranty for anything other than physical crashes.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts