Harddisks

• The_torst
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • The_torst
  • Loc: Denmark

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi guys,

I was wondering: I'd like (of course) to get the best performance out of my pc.
If we take for granted that money's not an issue and that the system is state of the art, wouldn't a 15000rpm HD with Fibre Channel increase the speed a lot? I know it's pretty darn expensive, but how much faster will it be? the seektimes and bandwiths look SO much better on these expensive HD's.

Thanks,
Torst.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Mav06
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Mav06

Post 3+ Months Ago

You just answered your own question what else is there to say. the fast the seek times the faster your computer will ascess your HDD faster.
  • The_torst
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • The_torst

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sure, I just wanted to know if there would be any bottlenecks, reducing the capacity to the one of a standard hd.

Thanks for the reply.
  • Sheepdip
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Castle Anthrax

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you have the proper controller card and hard drive, you'll see a slight performance increase. Add the drives in a RAID array, and you'll see an even greater increase in performance (i.e. three or more hard drive arms reading at once is much faster than 1 drive arm).
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Raid doesnt offer that much of a increase in performance, your looking at a max of 1 or 2% for Raid 0 and 1% for Raid 1. All raid is good for is making sure your data is safe from corruption in 1, and 0 is just making your data more vunerable by having it split over 2 drives, if 1 fails then you loose all your data.

*plum*
  • Sheepdip
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Castle Anthrax

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was referring to server class RAID. RAID (level 5/5e) arrays are much faster than single drive or mirrored (level 0/1) systems.
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

From what i know of Raid 5 it offers the security of raid 5 and some of the performance increases of Raid 0, Only reading has a performace increase not writing. (Thats what ive read, correct me if i am wrong).

*plum*
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you thought about SCSI ?

Might not be what your looking for as SCSI was designed with servers in mind [ being run 24/7 ] but they do have their advantages over EIDE in RAID X.

Food for thought. :)
  • The_torst
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • The_torst

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks a lot guys, I'll just check the scsi out. Would it be faster than raid 0, you think?
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, SCSI is faster than RAID 0.
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why not Raid 0 two SCSI drives? Get all the performance increases of Raid 0 and the higher transfur rate of SCSI.

*plum*
  • The_torst
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • The_torst

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, sounds like a good combination.

One last thing is confusing me though:
if we have two HD's, one with fibre channel and one without, the seektimes are the same on both of them. But, the the transfer rate for fibre channel is so much bigger (2GBps..); can the HD keep up with that at all? Would a 15k rpm HD be able to use that much?
I've read about 15k rpm HD's (fibre channel) with seektime 3,9 that couldn't do better than 80MBps... What would the Fibre Channel then be good for?

Thanks!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts