Harddrive just beeps over and over on boot up

• dralldaylong
  • Born
  • Born
  • dralldaylong

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey all, I am new here and was wondering if anyone could help me out w/ a problem I'm having.

I have a Compaq Presario 6000 that has been sitting in my spare bedroom for about 6 months now. I tried turning it on a couple of times in the 6 month period and could never get power to the computer. Finally I got an old power source from a different computer and plugged in the HD, cd-rom and floppy-disk drive and turned the cpu on. The only thing that happens is the HD beeps over and over like every 3 seconds. All fans are running, everything is on but I get no BIOS or nothing, not even a signal to my monitor.

Anyone got any ideas on what's going on?
  • dunk_1979
  • Born
  • Born
  • dunk_1979
  • Loc: U.K.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

it sounds to me that your CPU has got a lot of dust on it or you need a new CPU.
Offen you find that a lot of people don't understand that dust build up around hardware that have pins, stop the hardware from working. Bofore you go mad buying new parts. I would buy a can of compressed air and clean dust off all your components. Also with the compressed air dusting the holes the CPU pins lay in, on your motherboard. Then add one component at a time to your PC, turning it on each time before adding an other component. Starting with your CPU. this way you will be able to see what your system will accept and won't accept.

Good Luck

Duncan
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd guess bad or missing memory, without actually looking up codes.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The best advice I can offer is you might have to listen hard to determine the sequence. The beeps are POST error codes that tell you what the problem is. But first you need to know the manufacturer of your BIOS and go to the manufacturer of your BIOS website to determine exactly what the "beep" sequence is telling you.
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

My BIOS lets me know what is wrong in writing :).
Right now my Chipset fan is not spinning at all, and I don't have a care in the world :D
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

blink182av wrote:
My BIOS lets me know what is wrong in writing :).
Right now my Chipset fan is not spinning at all, and I don't have a care in the world :D

If it lets you know your video card is faulty in writing, I'm impressed! :D
  • dralldaylong
  • Born
  • Born
  • dralldaylong

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great thanks for all the ideas. It was getting mad dusty in there so I will clean it up and see what happens.
  • tomrulez
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: England!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check your cpu fan is working. I had a computer that started bleeping like that and all it was was a faulty cpu fan.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts