HARDRIVE NOT RECOGNIZED IN MY COMPUTER

• djcobra
  • Born
  • Born
  • djcobra

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey .. basically i went to My Computer , Manager - and i was in Computer Management - (before i continue i have a maxtor 80gb firewire external hardrive)
I then went to disk management and i partitioned the drive and mounted it but every time i tried formatting it, it said windows could not format - i think i un partitioned it and un done everything and now when i plug my external hardrive its loads up at the bottom of the taskbar - safely remove hardware - but its not in my computer and its not even in computer management anymore !

Please help ... reply here or email me djcobra@asianmix.net

Thank You
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

There's a variety of answers listed in this post
http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=148132

However, the very last reply listed seems to have some potential. I'm not 100% certain what the poster means by "mains lead" but I suspect he's refering to the power cord. The instructions are:

Quote:
OK the cure for this frustrating problem is the most simple that man could wish for! In fact it is so stupid you would not even give it a thought. However before telling you i want you to understand that you may have a problem in the Bios but before going there try this neat simple little trick! Believe me its magic.
OK for PC Towers XP etc unlplug from the mains and leave the P.C to stand for approx 25 mins (10 secs is not usually long enough) If you have a Laptop which has the same problem then you must also remove the mains lead and allow to stand for approx 25 mins. This also means removing the battery. After the elapsed time plug the mains lead back in and then connect the offending mass storage.
  • djcobra
  • Born
  • Born
  • djcobra

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok i will try that the thing was - before it just use to come on my taskbar saying "safely remove hardware" and it wasn't in my computer . Someone told me to right clcik my computer and go to management then go to computer management and there i saw it - i actually partitioned it and then set it as a drive but it would not let me format it so i un-done all the partitioning and adding a driver name and since then it doesn't ever appear on computer management either (the disk management section)
  • djcobra
  • Born
  • Born
  • djcobra

Post 3+ Months Ago

i tried that i unplugged and took out everything for 30-40 mins but it still does not seem to work - it says safely remove hardware at the bottom of task manager and the hardrives making a noise and the lights on so i know for a fact the hardrive is not faulty. Also in device manager it recognises my hardrive in disc drives but why not in disk management ?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have seen these instructions posted a couple different ways in a couple different forums. Maybe this will help:

Quote:
Hmmmm, kinda sounds like an XP "feature" I vaguely remember biting me in the butt in the past. Do you perchance have some mapped network drives? If so, make sure you have not mapped any to the "next" drive letter that comes after your local drives.

Example: You have local drives A:, C:, and D: (a floppy, a hard disk, and a DVD). You then map a network drive to E:. If you next plug in a USB drive, a bug in Windows will cause it to decide that E: is what it should map the USB drive to, causing a collision. All kinds of weird results can happen, but one of them is that you can't "see" the contents of the drive. The fix is to make sure you map your network drives higher up (I start with Z: and work down from there for mapped network drives).

Google "Q297694" for the MS support article if this sounds like it might be your problem.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've run into that ATNO. So friggin stupid.
  • ant_jar
  • ant_jar

Post 3+ Months Ago

I need help. i tried to solve it by going through the posts in forums .
But I can't got the exact solution. My problem is as follows:

My hard disk (Maxtor Home basic) is connected to UBUNTU 9.0, while using
data from the hard-disk abruptly the hard disk USB is unplugged by a kid.
Now when i connect it to computer again it is not working.

But it is showing in device manager> disk drives. But i am neither able to
see it in MY_COMPUTER not in DISK-MANAGEMENT.

I tried to connect the hard disk in windows- xp - sp3, windows 7 and
unbuntu 9.0. But it is not showing in my computer.

the hard-disk light is glowing, which shows that hard-disk is working.
hard-disk is external power supply, maxtor-home basic, 1 TB

looking forward for your reply

Thanks and reg
ant_jar
  • fan1bsb97
  • Born
  • Born
  • fan1bsb97

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey I'm having the exact same problem...

Was a solution found?
  • ant_jar
  • ant_jar

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi,...
hm....... :( no man same problem, and hard disk became a display item,,,,,,,
  • jms37
  • Born
  • Born
  • jms37

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had the same problem in windows 7. I think its the same for vista. Right click in the Royal Blue bar, and select New Simple Volume. Name the partition, and give it a letter, then give the settings you want. Should be good to go.
  • ant_jar
  • ant_jar

Post 3+ Months Ago

i am not able to see that volume even in "disk management" also that is the big problem.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts