Hardware Failure?

• Dangles
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Dangles
  • Loc: Brooklyn Transplanted into NJ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am hoping someone here could assist me with a little problem that creeped up last night.

I got home last night fired up my computer to play a little everquest and relax for a few hours. Well Lo and Behold something is wrong with my computer.

For some reason every so often (no rhyme or reason as to when) my computer will inexplicably just reboot. Its like a momentary crash and then it restarts.

I first went through the process of updating and running both spybot and norton AV. Both came up clean. I then checked all the connections on the back of the computer figuring maybe the cord to the PS was loose.

One time that it did crash the microsoft crash analysis popped up saying ti was caused by a graphics driver. I then went to the manufacturers website and downloaded the drivers as well as going to Microsoft and updated Direct X. This seemed to work for around an hour then it started again.

Its not my computer overheating - here are my specs

Asus A7n8e (not sure if that model # is right - its the nforce2 board) Motherboard
AMD Barton 3200 XP
1 Gig of pc2700 ram
60 Gig 5400 rpm HD
Gforce3 64 MB vid card
Antec True 550 PS
All in a Koolance liquid cooled case. At full load on Everquest my comp stays under 87 degrees Farenheight. Only thing cooled by Koolance is my CPU and Graphics Card.

I dont know what else it could be. I am going to try to roll back the driver tonight to an earlier one, though I have been using these drivers for over a month with out an issue.

If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Dangles
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

When it crashes, does it quickly flash a blue screen with white text,or just instantly reboot?
  • Dangles
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Dangles

Post 3+ Months Ago

lucassix wrote:
When it crashes, does it quickly flash a blue screen with white text,or just instantly reboot?

One time I noticed for less then a split second it looked like it did. Other times if it was, it was happening faster then I could notice.

But it didnt look like those blue screens when you have a physical memory dump.

Dangles
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds like a driver issue. I suggest drivers from:

http://www.omegadrivers.net/nvidia/win2k_xp.php

They are the best I have found so far, tweaked to perfection.
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ocean City , Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Right click on MY COMPUTER ,click PROPERTIES,click ADVANCED,click settings in the Startup and Recovery
and in the System Failure block ,uncheck (Automatically restart) At least
it won't re-boot on you and may help you troubleshoot it .
Your systems not bad at all ! But that G-force 3, shure is a bottleneck for you .I no what you should ask santa for .lol
  • Dangles
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Dangles

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hehe I know MOC, I have been slowly upgrading each of my compenents. That is one of the last ones, well that and a serial raid array with those lovely raptor drives. Ahh to wish! Well it turns out that one of my memory sticks are bad, I just ran memtest86+ and I stopped it during test 4 because it had just passed 3 million errors. Unreal!!

Well it looks like I am gonna have to get some new memory, guess it finally time to buy that matched set of corsair xms memory.

Thanks for the help all!
Dangles
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Woah, that's some pricy memory! I hope someone has been a good boy this year, I know I would need some help from santa on that one.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts