I hate computer monitors!

• ammark
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ammark
  • Loc: manchester- England

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi there...

i got an IBM TFT monitor, which was working fine and still is. But now my computer decided it doesn't like the monitor, so no picture comes up! i mean when i switch on my computer, it's ok- the windows xp loading screen appears etc...

but as soon as it goes into windows, the screen goes into sleep mode. the screen works fine- been playing ps2 on it. but does anyone know what that could mean?!?!

i mean the monitor doesn't give a "no signal" message, but just goes to sleep as soon as it enters windows. my very uneducated conclusion was that it's some internal setting within windows, but obviously i can't change it coz i can't see what i'm clicking!!

ANY advice/comments/solution would be HUGELY apereciated!

cheers

Ammar
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

moved to hardware
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ocean City , Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go here ,and check Hibernate and Sleep modes:
http://www.biomeridian.com/web/turnoffhibernate.htm

And if that doesn't work, I would try updating your drivers for that.
http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/compat/intelli ... ther2.html

http://list.driverguide.com/list/company475/page5/

You never said what modle the IBM TFT monitor was so thats about
as far as I could go .
  • ammark
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ammark

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for that: but the problem is that the computer is actually on: i can hear all the programmes functioning properly. I would do what thte link said: but i can't actually see! the monitor goes onto orange light mode, not green (which means it is completely on).

the monitor is an IBM T541 if that helps. it was working fine last night, but wouldn't work this morning. like i said: i get a picture until the part where Windows XP professional finishes loading. the monitor light then goes to orange, and windows start normally but with no picture.

I put in a DVD to check that windows is actually on- it went to autoplay and the movie was playing: BUT again without a picture.

any more help would be greatly apreciated!!!

cheers anyway
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would (I always do stuff like this first ) disconnect the VGA cord ,
from the back of your graphics card,,also pull the power cord out ,
for the monitor and if you have a power strip that you have it connected to ,try another plug,and then reconnect everything back up .I think that
monitor has an internal power supply ,but if it does not ,make shure
that the 12 volt power converter in installed correctly into (pushed)
all the way into the back of the monitor.

let me no if that did anything(sometimes this is the path you have to
take to troubleshoot it) disconnect ,then reconnect things.

power strips ,and outlets go bad at the drop of a hat.

Also have you brought up your onscreen Adjustments
for your monitor (should be button above on and off ,
and hit the default reset.
  • ammark
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ammark

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'll do that and let you know mate cheers. i hate not having my own computer!!

thanks again
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

We can rule out monitor hardware problems, wires, etc. If it was a problem with the monitor he wouldn't be able to see the Windows startup screen. The reason that you can see the startup screens is because your computer is using generic drivers and is only displaying at 640 x 480 resolution. The point where your monitor blanks out on you is where it is loding your real graphics drivers. The problem could be either corrupted graphics drivers, or your graphics card went south. My first guess and the easiest one to deal with is the drivers.

Boot into safe mode. If you don't know how to do that follow the instructions here: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ts ... ec_doc_nam

Go to device manager and expand the Display Adapter. The graphics controller is the device you will need to find drivers for. Usually the quickest place to find a current and reliable driver is the manufacturers website. Obviously you'll need to do this from a working computer, preferably one with a CD-RW. Download the current driver and burn it to CD -- you could try it on Floppy, but my bet is the file will be too large for floppy, and USB drives (if you have one) won't work in safe mode. Once you have the correct current driver return to safe mode on the bad computer and run the executable. Go back to device manager and right click your graphics controller and select properties. Select update drivers. Follow instructions.

Depending on the manufacturer, the driver may be just an executable, or it may be in a zipped file. If it's in a zipped file extract it first, then burn the extracted file/files to CD

Once you've updated the drivers reboot and you should be back in business. If not, you may need to consider replacing the graphics card.
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was thinking that he was seeing the logon screen,I am so use
to not having a boot screen.lol I forgot about that,

ammark. do you no what V/C you have ,And have you ever removed it
And re-installed it before. ?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I suppose another question would be, did you install SP2 last night? If so there may be a conflict with the manufacturer's drivers and SP2.

Also, if the driver file download comes with a readme.txt file, read it. It should provide additional information you may need to know.
  • ammark
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ammark

Post 3+ Months Ago

Absoloute Legend!

cheers for that... I started the computer in safe mode, but instead of downloading a new driver i just used system restore to restore windows to a state before the problem occured.

thanks a lot- i'm eternally grateful!

Ammar

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts