Haunting Harddrives

• seekermeister
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I could understand if a HD just died, but this one is a bit eerie for me. I have a multi-boot system with MCE on drive 0, SuSe on drive 1 and x64 on drive 2. All was normal until a few minutes ago, when I heard a few singular low clicks coming from the case. First drive 1 had disappearred from Computer Management and Windows Explorer, then a short while later, I found that both drive 0 and 1 had totally disappeared from x64.

Rebooting, I saw that the BIOS had detected the drives, and then they reappeared in x64 also, but attempting to access some files on drive 0 evoked some errors from both my firewall and something about MS Visual C runtime. I went back into CM and both drive 0 and 1 had disappearred again.

Rebooting once more, the BIOS failed to detect either of them. I shutdown and checked connections, which seemed fine, and removed power for a few seconds from the case.

When I powered up, I changed the booting priority to go to MCE on drive 0 and it booted normally (which is where I am now). However, going into CM the drive 0 that I'm using is nowhere to be found. But, drive 0 and 2 are there.

It's as though the gremlins are playing some tricks on me, perhaps because Halloween is approaching. Does any of this make any sense to anyone?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just a wild guess of the top of my head. Is the power supply big enough to handle all those drives and if it is, have you added anything to the system that would take more power.

You could try to boot each one of those drives in another machine as a test.
  • seekermeister
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a 600 watt PS which should be more than enough, and I haven't added anything lately except a USB floppy drive a week or so back, but I do not imagine that it requires much load. According to PowerChute, I'm using 222 watts.
  • seekermeister
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think that I found the problem and it wasn't with the harddrives. That USB floppy that I mentioned was the gremlim. I noticed that a couple of beeps were missing in the BIOS's USB detection and then noticed that the floppy had vanished. I unplugged it and Windows took no notice. Then I plugged it into a different port and it fired up. Strange how the smallest item can throw a monkey wrench into the works.
  • seekermeister
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had a reoccurence of this problem a few minutes ago, but this time instead of several clicks from the case, there was only one, and then everything on the desktop froze except the mouse. I tried to use my reboot hotkey and then the mouse froze also.

I have heard of harddrives clicking when seeking, but that is usually somewhat continous. From all that I have been able to diagnose using various programs, I have found nothing wrong with them.

I could sure use some ideas.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

If the hardrives aren't too much for the power supply, could they be to much for the controllers in the mother board?
  • seekermeister
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've began to think in that direction, because after the click/freeze yesterday, I noticed that even after the BIOS has finished detecting all of the drives, it hangs there for alot longer than usual before continuing to load the OS. But since there are no moving parts on a motherboard, why would it click?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not sure what's clicking but no matter what, it would be a good idea to split the hard drives over 2 or more machines.
  • seekermeister
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would, if I had a second machine.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts