HDD replace

• wortho8
  • Student
  • Student
  • wortho8

Post 3+ Months Ago

i currently have a western digital 250Gb (7200rpm) hard drive and i was thinking of up grading to a western digital raptor 150Gb (10,000rpm)

now would i have to disable the HDD i have now take it out and then replace it with the new 1, turn the pc on and everything will be working, or is there some other procedure i have to undertake to get the new HDD working.

another way with solving this problem is would it be possible to have both of the 72000 and 10,000rpm HDDs in my system and have the 10,000 HDD as my main drive so accessing data and the running of CD's will be faster, and the 7200 as the secondary drive backup thingy whatever you would call it. sorry ppl i'm pants with computers :oops:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• NuAngel
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Erie, PA, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you yank your old drive and put in a new one... it won't do anything. Windows is on the old drive.

Quote:
...to have both of the 72000 and 10,000rpm HDDs in my system and have the 10,000 HDD as my main drive so accessing data and the running of CD's will be faster

CD's won't get any faster with a hard drive, sorry to say.

I honestly would NOT recommend upgrading to a faster drive, if you don't know what you're doing. The 10,000 RPM drives are for EXTREMISTS. I have a 64-bit 1MB L2 Cache havin' beast of a computer, and even I didn't waste the money on a Raptor.

If you're convinced you need one, your EASIEST solution would be to get the new drive, shut of the computer, install the new drive, turn on the computer, and away you go. The Raptor would NOT be your primary drive, but you could install new software on it. Any new games you install you can install to THAT drive, or uninstall old ones and reinstall them on the new drive, to get them to load a little faster.

But I honestly wouldn't advise it - the drive you have now is a quality drive, a fast performer, and has far better storage capacity, which I would think to be far more important.

NuAngel
  • arakno
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Lisboa

Post 3+ Months Ago

actually attaching a cd to the same IDE controller of the HD will lower your HD perfomances.

As nuangel said i wouldn't do that either, when i saw your post i thought you were downgrading... :P

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts