Heat or power supply problem? What do you think.

• redwolf2
  • Born
  • Born
  • redwolf2

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm having a problem with my cpu. During heavy cpu loads (during gaming, after several loops of 3DMark, and after several loops of Sisoftware Sandra Burn-in) it will completely shut off. It works fine under normal winXP conditions.

It's an Athlon XP 2400+ (using WinXP Pro) with a 420W power supply. It has a heatsink and cooling fan on the cpu itself (no case fan though). My bios reports that it often runs at 66-68 celcius after it's been on for a while. MBM5 has it idling around 59-60 celcius. I'm suring it probably reaches the 70 celcius mark (or higher?) when it shuts down. (Mobo temp around the 45 celcius mark).

I know this cpu chip is generally a hot running chip and is supposed to be stable to 90 celcius.

Do you think that this is more likely a heat issue or power supply issue?

(PS - also, could it be the video card overheating? It's an older card I have in the system now simply for testing (Voodoo3) as my GF4 ti4200 seemed to be creating lots of windows errors (absolutely none now with temporary replaced card)).
  • ShEDeViL
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds like a heat issue to me. You might want to consider getting a better heatsink. What heatsink do you have currently?

Even though it's supposed to be stable up to 90 celcius, letting it get too hot (in my opinion over 55) and keeping it there for a while is not good a good thing.

Did you check your bios settings to see at what temperature it shuts off your computer?
  • redwolf2
  • Born
  • Born
  • redwolf2

Post 3+ Months Ago

It has the original heatsink and fan that came with the cpu chip. Also, this may be significant(?) - it was removed at one point and placed on a new motherboard. I did not use any kind of paste or anything and just rested it on the same spot as it was before (there had been a square of a portion of the cpu in some kind of pink square sticker (?) where it had been before.

Also, there does not appear to be an adjustment in the bios as to what temp it may be shutting down the cpu.

I'm thinking about slapping on a case fan at the back and see if that has any effect.

Thanks for the help.
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

yep thats your problem man ... and a case fan will not fix this problem. You need to re plant the heatsink fan with thermal paste. Too much paste is a problem and too little paste is a problem so be sure to smooth the paste out with a plastic card. that should fix your heat problem. im not sure what the pink sticker is so i suggest you take your computer in and replace the heatsink fan and buy thermal paste and ask about the pink sticker.
  • redwolf2
  • Born
  • Born
  • redwolf2

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ya, I definately agree...

I took off the case panel and the cpu runs 10 degrees cooler and I don't have the shutdown problems at all. I'm going to clean the heatsink/fan and properly mount it with thermal paste and pop in a case fan as well and I think this will solve my problem.

Thanks for the help. :)
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea pop in a case fan or 2 while you are at it. i have 8 case fans hahahha so you can see how nuts i am about my temps. your video card could have been suffering in those temps you had before because of your cpu heating up the entire case so when you get the thermal paste and re-install that heatsink fan try your AGP video card again. you may want to think about buying a better heatsink fan anyway.... just make sure it will fit with your motherboard, i would recomend the zalman CNPS7000 heatsink fan its compadible with AMD and intel but you have to find out if its compadible with your motherboard (theres a list of motherboards that it not compadible with on their site)
  • notissfak
  • Born
  • Born
  • notissfak

Post 3+ Months Ago

HOW TO REMOVE CASE FAN?I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM...
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

can you be more clear notissfak? i dont understand what you mean. is your system crashing under a ful load? what fan are you talking about removing and why?
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

redwolf2 wrote:
I took off the case panel and the cpu runs 10 degrees

Wow there is your problem though I find it hard to beleive becuase I never have case fans on my PC's (apart from a slow spining air intake with a dust filter). In my experiance case fans have very little effect on temperature. I would upgrade the heatsink.
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

you wont notice a temperature difference with 2 case fans in idle but you will notice a lower temp during a full load cause the heat build up is being removed you should notice a 4-8 degree difference in full load with 2 case fans (keep in mind you cant go below room temp so dont try)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts