Hello all

• bat681987
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • bat681987
  • Loc: ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

hello im new to this forum and i thot it would be cool to join

i just actually started getting into computers but im a total moron on the subject.

yes yes yes i know ill be slapped around for this question buuuuuuuttt

is there any links that can help me with building my own computer. like i said im all alone in this whole computer building thing.....

so how bout some good slams on me and maby ill get my question answered. thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you mean assembling the components or picking out the components?
  • bat681987
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • bat681987

Post 3+ Months Ago

umm mostly wat i need to get started.. so ya all the components and maby some tips on wat i should look for. thanks
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is kind of a hard question to answer. Since you are new to the scene you will need to do a lot of research.

First you need to decide what your goals are with this computer. Will it be for gaming, graphics, video rendering or just surfing the web and checking e-mail.

Then you need to make the decision to go with Intel or AMD. There are many many threads on this forum about which is better. Only you can decide.

Once that is done then you can start looking at components. You will need a case, power supply, hard drives, optical drives, sound card, video card, extra cooling if you so desire.

One of the things I used to do is go to websites like http://www.ibuypower.com or http://www.falcon-nw.com and customize my own PC. You will learn a little about what kind of components are out there and what goes to what. You could also go to http://www.newegg.com and look at the different motherboards and what they support and what they don't. Your motherboard is going to drive what you can and cannot buy for the most part.
  • bat681987
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • bat681987

Post 3+ Months Ago

holly crap...

i never thot i would or even could get a strate up answer like that off of forums. thanks alot that helps me out with this whole thing. thanks
  • bat681987
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • bat681987

Post 3+ Months Ago

i did some serchin around and found a site called howstuffworks.com i think its like a by product of "----- for idiots" books. but to anser your question i kind of want to have a computer for 3-4 big games surffin the net and school.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

To fully enjoy your games with the best graphic display, frames per second and all that you need to focus heavy on the graphics card and the amount of RAM.

In todays market the PCI Express video card is the way to go. Then of course there is SLI which is using 2 PCI Express cards that are bridged together. This is quite expensive. Once again there are many debates over ATI and nVidia as who is the better graphic card maker. Do a search and you will find them.

RAM is another issue you will face. Your choices are DDR and DDR2. DDR2 is going to limit you to which processor you are going to use as either Intel or AMD doesn't support it yet. Most motherboards today can support up to 4GB of RAM. That is all good but I have read that Windows XP has a problem addressing anything over 2.5GB. One GB of RAM should be fine for most games however the more the better.

Sound is also important for the game savvy out there. Right now the consensus is on the new Creative x-fi card. It is impressive but comes with a price tag. Creative's Audigy2 series is also very good. Speakers I suggest you look at Logitech, they make some might fine speakers.

Processor, like I said, depending on what type of RAM you go with will force you to use Intel or AMD. If you use plain jane DDR RAM you can use either. DDR2 is when you are limited, unless they changed this recently.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts