HELP! Comp is still running reeeeally slow!

• espiritus mortum
  • Born
  • Born
  • espiritus mortum
  • Loc: westtown, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well i tryed everything. I posted previously about this and took the advice. It didn't help. So far i have . . .

- had a hijack this log reviewed and removed everything that wasn't essential
- removed every single non essential program from startup
- defraged twice!
- scanned for viruses and spyware with no result
- checked my harddrive which is only 30% full

Its rediculous. my computer runs 100% cpu usage when im burning a CD. i used to be able to watch video and have like tons of other applications open while i burnt a cd without even slowing the comp down. i can't even have 2 windows open while i surf the net. i takes a few minutes for some applications to open. and recently i have been having new problems. on top of maxed out cpu usage all the time i have been getting high page file usage. like 700 out of 918 megabytes with just one program open. and my comp has been saying its low on virtual memory. i don't even know WTF that is! so before i take a bat to the damn thing, which maybe sooner than later, please some one help me.!?!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• psuedofy
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: long island, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

it could be that ur system or cpu is just overheating
http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php try to download this and check the heat of the system...
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

did you install any new drivers? if not then look for updates.. youcould always reinstall windows..
  • steed

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sometimes, it is just a lot less painless to reinstall windows. Besides, if you look at the bright side, it's better to back up your data anyway. Just amke sure you get everything you'll need. Outlook Address Book, Favorites, Fonts, Documents, Pictures, MP3s, etc. -- DVDs are perfect.

If you have any problems re-installing, you can call me; and I'll gudie you through it.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some programs, when running are CPU intensive. By default most of them are running at normal priority. However some programs are CPU "hogs" and when running at normal priority will still max out the CPU. When that happens, other programs have to "wait" or use up what little is left of the CPU time.

When you know what program is causing the high CPU utilization (such as your burning software), open the program. Then open task manager and select the processes tab. Find the executable for the program, right click it, and set the priority to below normal or low. This will cause the program to run at lower priority which will allow other programs more available CPU time.

You will get a warning that changing the priority may cause "undesired results"... Don't worry about that. Just click OK. (Normally the problems that could be caused is if you set the priority unrealistically high).

That should solve your problem.
  • victor_p77
  • Student
  • Student
  • victor_p77

Post 3+ Months Ago

After I re-install windows and install all necessary programs and update them I use Norton Ghost to back-up my computer so whenever i get a virus or anything I just restore it. So if your going to install windows make sure you do a back up

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts