Help me..Formatting..

• Slipknot666
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Slipknot666
  • Loc: South africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

My computer is slow and i want to format it i also for some reason have windows 2000 on so on start up it has 2 options xp and 2000...i want to remove both but i don't know how i tried the xp installation disk but it didnt delete anything...Please could you tell me how to clear everything i really need to get my computer like brand new...
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

What I do personally is take out the hard drive and place it into another computer as a slave or into an external enclosure that allows me to access the drive via USB or Firewire. I then use the Computer Management Console to partition and format the drive with the custom parameters I select.

However if you can't do that or don't want to get involved in that then back up all important data on the drive to another drive or some other medium (CD,DVD,Zip,Tape). The insert the XP CD and reboot, when you get to the windows install, skip the repair option and go to the install. It will then show you a list of the disk drives it found. Find the one that you want to install Windows on, and DELETE the old partition. Then create a NEW partition of the same size (or change things as you see fit) and then select Install Windows XP on this partition. Then it will give you an option to format the drive. Select NTFS, and then it will format and install windows.
  • Slipknot666
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Slipknot666

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'll try and let you knows because i used the cd the first time then it said repair c so i did....i'm not such a computer boff i jus want to remove 2000 and xp and all my files then reload xp.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

You you don't want to recover. It should give you an option to not recover and continue installing windows XP.
  • Slipknot666
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Slipknot666

Post 3+ Months Ago

it say dnt repair and continue then i do the it says repair fterwards to c or quit or escape i think so i think i have to repair it..dn way i could do it in dos or something?? because i did it like that once long ago it took long but it took everything off... or if u could like send me a link to a site that will help.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try http://www.daveswebserver.com/ozzu/bootdisk.iso

It is a bootable CD version of a regular Windows 98 boot disk. Burn it with any popular CD writing program and you should have format, fdisk, all those fun DOS commands at your disposal.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does that format support NTFS?
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

FDISK will be able to see it so that you can delete it. No, you won't be able to read the partition or format it as NTFS, but it doesnt matter, as XP can reformat it in NTFS during installation.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is their a command line based OS (DOS style) can can natively read/write NTFS? It would be worth a shot to develop a bootable CD or USB key that can load in an instant and fdisk, format, name and assign the drives with the ability to configure advanced raid configurations before the windows XP cd is even installed. Even then the XP cd want's a floppy to look for drivers for the raid which is BS. I haven't used a floppy drive in nearly 6 years.

They have WinPE but the latest revisions had some trouble with the certain utilities accessing the drives.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

NTFSDOS is a free TSR application for DOS that will allow you to mount and read NTFS partitions in true DOS. I didn't put this in the ISO, but I can if you would like.
  • Slipknot666
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Slipknot666

Post 3+ Months Ago

so i save that burn it to cd and then restart my computer?? then will it format the computer by its self ??
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

no, you would need to run fdisk and format from the command prompt.
  • Slipknot666
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Slipknot666

Post 3+ Months Ago

im dumb i dnt no wat to do like that ARGHH why is this hard isn't their like a dummies guide to formating..i jus want to remove stuff how hard is that..
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

GT500Shlby wrote:
What I do personally is take out the hard drive and place it into another computer as a slave or into an external enclosure that allows me to access the drive via USB or Firewire. I then use the Computer Management Console to partition and format the drive with the custom parameters I select.

However if you can't do that or don't want to get involved in that then back up all important data on the drive to another drive or some other medium (CD,DVD,Zip,Tape). The insert the XP CD and reboot, when you get to the windows install, skip the repair option and go to the install. It will then show you a list of the disk drives it found. Find the one that you want to install Windows on, and DELETE the old partition. Then create a NEW partition of the same size (or change things as you see fit) and then select Install Windows XP on this partition. Then it will give you an option to format the drive. Select NTFS, and then it will format and install windows.

This is the easiest method. Or you can download http://diskzapper.com/download/ and select diskzapr.iso. Once it is downloaded burn it do disk. Once the disk is done, put it in your CD drive and reboot. Once the disk is loaded you will be at a command prompt. Type the word ERASE and hit enter. That is it you are done. Let the program run and when it is done, reinstall windows.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oooh - hotness! Me likey!
  • Slipknot666
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Slipknot666

Post 3+ Months Ago

that was a waste of time and a cd it jus came back to windows and i tried the windows xp and it doesnt clear everything it just reloads everything back on...plus i want to get rid of windows 2000
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

When burning it you need to set it as "bootable" or use a program that does raw writing.
  • Slipknot666
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Slipknot666

Post 3+ Months Ago

im out of cd''s owell maybe on day i'll format it somehow thnx tho..
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your Microsoft Windows CD has all those abilities. Boot from the CD. It will detect your current OS installs, but I believe you have to hit F8 to continue installing Windows. Then it will show a list of drives
Delete the partitions and create new ones.

If you read the screens carefully you will be able to do it.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316941 wrote:
Perform a clean install of Windows XP
A clean installation refers to removing all data from your hard disk by repartitioning and reformatting your hard disk and reinstalling the operating system and programs to an empty (clean) hard disk. You should back up all important information before you perform a clean installation of Windows XP.

For additional information about important things to consider before you partition and format you hard disk and how to partition and format your hard disk by using the Windows XP Setup program, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
313348 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313348/) How to partition and format a hard disk in Windows XP
After you have backed up all your important information, follow these steps to install Windows XP:
1. Start your computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM. To do this, insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into your CD drive or DVD drive, and then restart your computer.
2. When you see the "Press any key to boot from CD" message, press any key to start the computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.
3. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER to start Windows XP Setup.
4. Read the End-User License Agreement, and then press F8.
5. Follow the instructions on the screen to select and format a partition where you want to install Windows XP.
6. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Windows XP Setup.

Also: http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;316941
How to Use the Fdisk Tool and the Format Tool to Partition or Repartition a Hard Disk
  • Slipknot666
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Slipknot666

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'll try hey thnx i'll do it now and let you know thnx
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Slipknot666 wrote:
i'll try hey thnx i'll do it now and let you know thnx

I just edited my previous post but you replied before I could finish. Look at it if you have any trouble.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

The disk zapper disk works just fine. I use it almost on a daily basis here at work. You must have done something wrong when you burned it. Such as burning it as a data CD and not an image would be my first guess.
  • Slipknot666
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Slipknot666

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey i got it to work i didnt read properly the first time but the windows 2000 is still on my computer and i think thats why i couldn't delet the partiton or watever its called but it did delet the stuff...if you know how i can delete the windows 2000 please let me know
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll grab my digital camera and make step by step images on how to format the drive later on tonight.
  • Slipknot666
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Slipknot666

Post 3+ Months Ago

that will be cool coz tyhat option 4 windows xp and 2000 is annoying me and i formatted xp nicely competely..
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

You actually formatted the drive and 2000 is still there? How many disk drives & partitions do you have?
  • Slipknot666
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Slipknot666

Post 3+ Months Ago

i jus have c: but i cldnt like delete it it sayed something about tempary folders or something i think coz of windows 2000 or something.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can you take a screenshot of that and post it? I have never seen the windows installation disk complain about temporary folders.
  • Slipknot666
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Slipknot666

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok i'll try take one but then i have to like install and *plum* i think my comps cool 4 now..one day i'll try get 2000 off

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 29 posts