Help needed with graphics card problems

• Lefty
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: North Dakota, United States

Post 3+ Months Ago

How can he start the computer withour a video card installed...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

If he is only leaving it to run, he doesnt have to have it installed because he wont be doing anything.
If he is going to download and leave it running he can disable it.
  • Kidshark
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Kidshark

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can disable my card as my motherboard has built in graphics also....but I'm sure this problem was still here when I had my graphics card disabled. Maybe this could all be caused by overheating? I have a fan on my processor (about 90mm) , my PSU has a fan and my graphics card has its own little fan.........but I dont think my case is well ventilated. It does have a mesh type thing going on where the processor fan is and also where the PSU is at the back but other than that it has no ventiliation. I forgot to mention that when this 'no signal detected' does happen.......my sounds stop after 1-3 seconds of the event which shows its maybe more than the graphics card or it isnt the graphics card at all? Maybe the motherboard overheating??? What do you think?
  • Kidshark
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Kidshark

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ugh I dont get it.........the computer was fine for all those months then it started doing this about 4 months ago...why?? :x Could it just be a simple overheating problem? It wouldnt just start doing it like that though would it, so it must be damaged or faulty hardware in some way. How fast should fans normall be at? Mines at like 3200-3400 RPM..is that normal? Could it be the processor is overheating??? AHHH!
  • Lefty
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: North Dakota, United States

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lets go back to the original symptoms,
Works for a while then powers down. No way to repeat the symptoms except for waiting till they happen. All Fans are working, All fans are clean, no dust or dirt on anything. PSU is new and not in question, videocard removed and sx still persisted, when the computer powers down your in the middle of something so it's not the power saver settings. System is NOT overclocked, graphics card is NOT overclocked, It makes an electrical type noise (unable to locate from where) and it shuts down.

Correct me if I missed something...
  • Kidshark
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Kidshark

Post 3+ Months Ago

It doesnt shut down......well I think the system stops working and I get a 'no signal detected' but the actually PC still has power!! And I'm not sure about all the fans working properly....shouldnt it be faster than 3400RPM?
  • Kidshark
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Kidshark

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey Im back and with a new graphics card, it seems to have helped quite alot. Up to yet my computer hasnt done the 'no signal detected' thing so thats good. Im still worried about the temperatures when Im playing a game though....motherboard gets up to like 48 C, to counter this I have left the side panel of the PC off and got a fan blowing into it but I dont want to have to do this. I think my PC case is badly cluttered and isnt ventilated enough, plus it has no case fans. I'm thinking of buying a case that has better ventilation and also comes with two 80mm case fans (and a PSU)...but before I consider that option what else can I do to help this case?
  • Kidshark
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Kidshark

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh btw I just had a look inside my PC and I thought I'd clean the fan...so I unclipped the heatsink/fan and it just came off. Isnt it supposed to be glued to the processor? I saw the stuff but it isnt glued because I took the whole thing off :? I guess this is causing my overheating.....I also felt the graphics card after the computer had been on and running a game for a couple of hours and it was really hot. What shall I do??
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your CPU should not be glued to your HSF, DO NOT GET OUT THE WOOD GLUE !!!

Between your CPU & HSF there should be a thin layer of thermal compound:

http://dabs.com/uk/Search2/Product+Deta ... 20compound

This will help transfer the heat between your CPU & HSF.

When you say really, hot what kind of hot. All GPU's get hot after a while anyway.
  • Kidshark
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Kidshark

Post 3+ Months Ago

well I didnt know what it was , I knew it wasnt just glue lol. So if I get some of this paste and stick my heatsink / fan back to my CPU that will help the motherboard temperatures? The graphics card is hot, but I think its probably normal.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, the thermal compound will decrease you CPU temp.

Ignore the Mobo temp, most programs that give mobo temp readings are wrong anyway.

Download CPU-z, that give accurate reading and will you plenty of info regarding your mobo and CPU.

[ I was only kidding bout the wood glue thing, I relised you knew it wasn't glue but thought I'd make it more light hearted ]

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 41 posts