Help! Notebook won't charge.

• RaceProfessor
  • Born
  • Born
  • RaceProfessor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm relatively ignorant to the world of modern electronics so please bear with me. I dropped a jurassic Compaq Presario 2100 while hanging from the cord from the battery charger (ouch). I purchased a new charger and it seems as the port where you plug in the charger has exessive play where as you have to jiggle around for several minutes until it wants to begin charging. As of yesterday, that doesn't work either. Any idea what's my next point of action? How would I go about remedying the problem and what parts do I need to purchase. Thank you everyone for their input.

Sam
  • Bryan Cheer
  • Bryan Cheer
  • Loc: Plymouth, Devon, UK.

Post 3+ Months Ago

It would seem you have damaged the socket on the laptop. It should be checked soonest, and repaired or replaced. Don't fiddle around with it because the current that the 'charger', or 'adaptor', can supply could do a lot of damage to your mainboard if you cause a short circuit.
Yes it will probably cost to have it done by a professional, but unless you live near Plymouth, England, I cannot help further.
Good Luck!
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I actually fixed the port on the back of an older HP laptop. I don't recommend doing it if you value your sanity. It was a thoroughly unenjoyable experience and I'm an engineer.
  • Bryan Cheer
  • Bryan Cheer

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi again Guru,
(actually it is Dennis isn't it? I am sorry, I am new and didn't pick up the signature when we talked about my Packard Bell problem.)

Regarding the Professor's broken socket/port, it can be repaired, but best not by someone not experienced in dismantling and fixing laptops. You found it tricky, and I can see the Professor having to go to the repair shop with a box of junk including a written off mainboard!

To the Professor I say, "Don't try it!" If you value the laptop, get it fixed by a reliable engineer - if you know of one.

Good Luck!
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually "Guru" is the post level I am at and Dennis Miller is a political comedian.

The name is Mike or you can just call me GT.
  • Bryan Cheer
  • Bryan Cheer

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK GT, You've got it!
Regards,

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts