help!!!! Radeon AGP

• twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi
i just bought a Radeon 9000 64MB AGP yesturday and it turned out i don't have a AGP slot

i think i know why
and the reason is because AGP wasn't invented in middle 1998-1999
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

*lol --well, then...what would you like us to do?
Sounds like a trip to return it where you bought it is in order or buy a new computer! (*sorry -- couldn't resist)
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I've got a PC that I built up in around '97 or '98 that had an AGP slot (Soyo 5EHM/5EMA motherboard - not sure exactly which model it was I had) on an AMD K6-2-300 - I used both an 8Meg Matrox Millennium G200AGP, and a 32Meg ATI Rage Fury Pro 128 VIVO on that board with no problems.

So, AGP slots were around then. But, yeah, many low-end boards still didn't have an AGP slot at the time.

Your best bet would either be go back to where you got the AGP card, and get the PCI version, although, to be honest if you're board is that old, then upgrading to a recent video card isn't gonna do much good, because you're still very restricted by your processor & RAM.

So, your other option (probably better option) is to get a recent chip, mobo & ram. You can pick up an AthlonXP 2000+ processor & MSI motherboard these days for around $150 in a local PC store if you shop around (I picked up one of these deals at a local place here 4 or 5 days ago for a small server in an office network I'm setting up - in fact, I'm typing this from the office in question as Win2K is installing on the server, lol).

Then get some ram - cost depends on how much and what speed, but you could be up and running on a pretty fast, fairly modern PC for $250 or less. If your existing case is AT and not ATX, then it may cost a lil more if you have to buy a new case.

But still, like ATNO says, upgrade - that's what I'd do :)
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

well since this is for my family and i have a tight budget i'd rather get everything at a place like best buy

i've looked for pentiums and i have found sites where you can get a whole motherboard processor and ram for like $180
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd rather go with AMD than Intel, but that's your preference. The point is, you can upgrade to a 2Ghz box, with 256Meg RAM and an AGP slot for under 200 bucks these days if you shop around :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmm...computers are so cheap... I just bought (for work) 6 Dell Pentium 4, 2.something-or-other (with hyperthreading) ghz, 512mb RAM, 80 GB drive 17" monitor and quite a few other goodies for $540 each, US $ including a 10/100/1000 ethernet card.

They are out there if you look for them
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

twmspro wrote:
well since this is for my family and i have a tight budget i'd rather get everything at a place like best buy

i've looked for pentiums and i have found sites where you can get a whole motherboard processor and ram for like $180

Best Buy is NOT the place to go if you are on a tight budget. They are reputable, but I'd wait till they either have a rebate, or BIG sale.

A lost of the stuff can be found online mucho cheaper.
  • hiryux
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got my computer at abs, it is an amd2600, dual 512 ram and radeon9600, 80 gb hd and all those other minor things (onboard sound and lan though) and it cost me around 709. The base system by abs right now runs around 550 i guess, and it's pretty good too.

another option would be building it yourself, but the price would be around 500 i guess. Of course, it depends on how of a good machine you want.

I'd really not recommend going to best buy or circuit city, they normally over charge for stuff and unless you will be settled for an open box item, it's not a really good place to go... unless of course, they have major sale =)

Looks like you will replace your mobo... for (if u'r into it) recent games like Battlefield Vietnam will NOT support PCI graphics card, maybe it's a trend more and more games will follow? For mobos, check for the manufacturer (best one is Soyo, from what I heard) and how upgradeable it is... u don't want to buy a new mobo that doesn't support faster processors and which has 2 RAM slots =p (been there lol)

And I'm just writing way too much AGAIN.
sorry!
  • ccb056
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have built countless computers, it really isn't that hard. Just google for guides on how to build computers, get a little of the language under your belt, and try it. Building your own computer is much better than buying one if you are on a tight budget.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts