HELP - Toshiba laptop keyboard stopped working

• mjerome
  • Born
  • Born
  • mjerome

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey everyone. I have a Toshiba Satellite 1955-S803 with a detachable wireless keyboard. Well, the keyboard stopped working about a week ago. I ordered in a new keyboard, but it would not work either. An external USB keyboard (plugged into the side port) does work, and I am stumped. The power button the the keyboard is the only thing that works on the keyboard, all other keys are dead!! Another thing is the laptop has 2 USB ports on the back that do not work because the cables that were plugged in to them have been tripped over and the plastic tabs were snapped off. Other than that, everything else is functioning as it should.

My OS is MS XP Pro, and Toshiba is of NO help (not even my $35 can help them help me since I upgraded the OS from XP Home).

I am suspecting the MB is bad and needs replaced. Please let me know if you have ANY SUGGESTIONS or ideas. Thanks, MJ
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm going to assume that the motherboard has built in wireless that probably went bad. I'm not a laptop expert but I do know that you will not be able to just replace the mobo. So if you can live without the wireless and 2 broken USB ports you will be fine. If not, time to buy a new laptop.
  • mjerome
  • Born
  • Born
  • mjerome

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the reply. My laptop does have built-in wireless, but the wireless is only on when I detach the keyboard and I turn on the switch. There are 9 gold plated contacts that are "made" when the keyboard is attached to the case. The keyboard does not work attached or detached.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess your screwed then. Is it still under warranty?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts