help in updating graphics? pretty confused

• playa13uk
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • playa13uk
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi people, can someone please give me a hand in updating the graphics of my laptop, since I wanted to play a game on the Internet but need better graphics, so I need help on installing and updating without causing errors.

Here are the specs for the game that I need, just focus on the graphics;
http://thang.ongameport.com/data/down.a ... alue=01_01

I dont think I have VGA as it states because it comes up with an error when I want to start the game saying, I need a graphics card that supports Open GL.
--------------------------
Here are the laptop Specs:
Patriot 2430
Windows XP SP 1
Intel Celeron 1.2GHz

Here are the Graphics Specs:
The drivers I have installed are:
display driver: SiS 300/305/630/540/730
location PCI bus 1, Device 0, function 0 version 5.1.2001.0
author: microsoft
Driver files: c:\windows\system32\DRIVERS\sis300ip.sys
version 5.13.01.110
c:\windows\system32\sis300iv.dll
version 5.13.01.110

Adapter: sis 630 8MB memory, bios info 2.02.1c
---------------------------
Also accroding to the following site, there seems to be an update to my driver, SiS 300 VGA Driver, which from the sounds of it, is what I need, have downloaded it but not installed it, since I am unsure:

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Downloads/ ... lDesc=A907

I've also downloaded another SiS driver update, version SiS630, but am unsure as to whether it is the right driver, safe to install and how to exactly install it:
http://driver.sis.com/graphic/igp/73063 ... _winxp.zip

---------------------------
Thanks in advance

P.S. sorry about the length of the post, but it had to be done in order to get the message across, so please do not be put off by it
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• theak
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Taipei, Taiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Open GL is one of the 3D graphics formats, and your laptop may or maynot have a graphics card that can support it, although if it has only 8MB of video RAM it is unlikely your'll be able to do much games wise. Could you tell us what model your laptop is and then we will have a better idea of whether your'll be able to run the game?
  • playa13uk
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • playa13uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

damn, I was hoping not to hear that, I'd hope that Open GL can be added to all comps as standard.

Well the laptop I have is Patriot 2430, thats what says on the actual laptop itself, MODEL NO 7521C.

dont know if that is what you are looking for.

P.S. I found info on this website, please check it because it seems related and the SAME EXACT SPECS AS MINE.
  • theak
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Taipei, Taiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your not alone with your Patriot problems, I did a bit of a search on Google and it turns out Patriot have gone bust hence there being no official support. All I could find of any intrest, that wasn't in Uzbekistan was the following link (which contains strong language that may cause offence).

http://www.driverzone.com/viewcomment.php?company=Patriot%20Computer&masterid=1118

If you visit the SiS website (http://www.sis.com/) they have a support section which has limited information on the 305 chipset (search thier site for sis305) but as it's one of thier older GPU's the info is a bit limited.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unfortunately you are pretty much stuck. Laptops are not designed to be upgraded like desktops so you won't be able to pull the graphics chip and slap in a new one.

A driver update won't do much to remedy your online game play. You will need to buy a high end laptop or build a desktop designed for gaming.
  • playa13uk
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • playa13uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

damn, well thanks for your help anyway guys, looks like i'll just build a desktop.

damn laptop.

well looks like this topic can be closed.
  • lemiwinks1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: out of my mind:its dark and scary in there

Post 3+ Months Ago

that sux dude i give you my condolances

i had to make an attempt at fixing one of these piles of garbage a month ago.

i ended up talking the owner into leting me give him a jefferson so i could have the pleasure of shooting the nads off of it with my 12Guage :twisted:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts