Help with corrupted hard drive

• malik641
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Sunny South Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have no idea what's going on with my computer. I'll turn it on and my system will attempt to start and it will get as far as to the "Windows Starting" screen and right before the status bar is full a VERY FAST message comes up and it is TOO fast for me to even read....except ".....corrupted....." and that's the only word i could get out of it. Lots of numbers and letters and blah blah blah. After that screen comes up my computer immediately restarts and the process repeats itself.

I'm running Windows 2000 on a Gateway 80GB 1.4GHz 256MB RAM

Anybody know how to retain the old information from the hard drive?
Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks in advance
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you have one around , I would suggest hooking another drive up into the system loading windows onto it, and try to retrieve the data that way, sounds like your boot ini is corrupted.

WC
  • malik641
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Sunny South Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Which hard drive would I make the master and which would i make the slave?

And how exactly would I go about doing that because I did try to set up my main hard drive as a slave and a new one (well, one that I had) as the master but it still wouldn't recognize the corrupted hard drive.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

You would make the "new" hard drive the master and the problem hard drive the slave.

If you were running XP you could have booted into the Recovery Console and ran the bootcfg command and it would automatically reconfigure your boot.ini file.

But sincee you don't Wild Child's plan would be the next best thing but that didn't seem to work.

But all is not lost. You can still use the Recovery Console in 2000.
Quote:
Recovery Console
Functional Overview
You can use Recovery Console to gain access to a computer when it does not start or when you cannot start the computer by using any safe-mode boot option. Using the Administrator account and password, you can gain access to the Windows 2000 system files, run some built-in diagnostic tools (Chkdsk, for example), and gain limited access to the registry to enable or disable services. This includes volumes where the file system format is FAT16, FAT32, or NTFS.
To run Recovery Console you need the Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional, Windows 2000 Server, or Windows 2000 Advanced Server CD-ROM, and a bootable CD-ROM drive. For computers that do not have a CD-ROM drive that conforms to the El Torito specification, you must have or create the four boot disks from the CD-ROM.
Note: To create the boot disks, gather four blank disks and run the Makeboot.bat file, which is located in the Bootdisk folder on the Windows 2000 CD-ROM.
Start the computer with the CD-ROM in the drive (or boot disk 1 if you are using the boot disks) and follow the instructions on the screen. When the Welcome to Setup dialog box is displayed:
Press R to choose the Repair a Windows 2000 Installation option.
When the Windows 2000 Repair Options dialog box is displayed, press C to start Recovery Console.
The next dialog box displays a list of operating systems that are installed. Type the number of the Windows 2000 installation that you want to select.
Type the local Administrator password, and then press ENTER.
Note: Recovery Console requires that you type the local Administrator password to gain access to the system volume. You are given three chances to type the correct password before the computer is restarted. However, if the computer does not contain any Windows 2000 computer files, a command prompt is automatically displayed.
When the password is validated, a command prompt is displayed at the SystemRoot folder of the installation that you selected (for example, C:\Winnt).
You can now log on to the Windows 2000 installation. From Recovery Console, you can perform general troubleshooting tasks such as running the Chkdsk tool against a volume, copying files from disk or CD-ROM (for example, replacing a corrupted or missing file), and other tasks that may be required to bring your computer back to a bootable state. Note that you cannot copy files from the computer to disk or other media unless the security policy of the computer allows you to do so. (See the “Using Policy to Control Security in Recovery Console” section below.)
You do not always need to use the CD-ROM or the four boot disks to start Recovery Console. To install the files necessary to run Recovery Console, type the command,
x:\i386\winnt32 /cmdcons
(where x is your CD-ROM drive letter or the path to your distribution share), and then press ENTER.
This command installs the files that are necessary to run Recovery Console off the root of the system volume in the Cmdcons hidden folder, and adds an entry to your Boot.ini file. When you start your computer, the Windows 2000 Recovery Console option is now displayed in the list of operating systems. The installation of these files takes up approximately 7 megabytes (MB) of disk space.
List of Commands
The following commands are available when you use Recovery Console:

attrib
delete
fixmbr
more
batch
dir
format
rd
cd
disable
help
ren
chdir
diskpart
listsvc
rename
chkdsk
enable
logon
rmdir
cls
exit
map
systemroot
copy
expand
md
type
del
fixboot
mkdir
set

I would try the chkdsk, fixboot or the fixmbr command. If those don't work, time to format and start fresh.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts