Help with my hard drive

• shaunamc
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • shaunamc
  • Loc: New Jersey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a brand new HP pavillion 505n with windows xp, I also have an old emachine with windows 2000. I have info on the hard drive on the Emachine...I somehow blew the video card and some other stuff on the emachine. Is there a way for me to take the hard drive from the emachine and put it on the HP to remove the data...only pictures really. Please help...they're my child's only childhood picture.
:cry:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should be able to do it. You'll need to change the jumpers on your old drive and make it a "slave" drive. The jumper settings should be printed on the drive -- if not, check the manufacturer's site for the settings or the manual. Install it in your new machine. You may (probably) will need to install the drivers for the old drive on the HP machine. You should be able to download those from the manufacturers site. Your "new" slave drive will more-than-likely default to D:\ drive. You should be able to access what you want then.

If you have any problems with those instructions ask again. I'm going to bed now and probably won't be back again until late tomorrow, but there's quite a few folks here who have experience with this sorta thing and can help you.
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

XP may require you to mount the drive to access the data off of it. If so go to control panel and then to computer management. Then to disk management, click on the slave drive and tell it to mount the drive to the next avaible drive letter. Then you can remove any data you want from the drive. After you are all done you can format the drive and leave it in the computer and use it for extra storage space. Enjoy :D
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

using XP for this is extremely easy. Pretty much connect it up as
ATNO/TW said, and turn it on. You'll see that it detects new hardware
and installs it. It may flip out and give you some messages since there's
an installation of windows on it, but it shouldn't prevent you from
continuing to add it as a slave. Then just follow what ModernDestroyer
said to be sure you can access. Disk Management is a powerful tool, and
will help you if you have probs. From there you can access the drive like
your normal hard drive through My Computer or Windows Explorer.

we're always here as well. ;) good luck. :)
  • shaunamc
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • shaunamc
  • Loc: New Jersey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I understand everything so far. HOw do I change the jumper cables. Thanks for the help guys
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

If your putting the old drive on the primary IDE chain make it the slave. If your putting it on the secondary make it the master or slave. The jumper settings are at the back of the drive. It's just a little rectangle with metal in the middle of it to create a connection between two pins. There are directions usually on the top of the drive for how to set it to Master, Slave, or Cable select. Enjoy and let us know how it turns out :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts