help with networking card

• koshysx7
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Atlanta

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi, i was wondering if this would help connect my computer to the internet. one computer is directly connected to the internet through a router, but i want to wirelessly get online with a desktop computer in a different room. would this help?

link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 1384161297
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• david17
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: princeton, nj

Post 3+ Months Ago

maybe you sent us the wrong link but for what i see that is a normal nic card, it will not pick up any wireless signal since it was designed to work only with cable (cat 5, cat6, etc) if your router has an antenna or you know that it provides a wireless signal then install a wireless pci card or wireless usb card on your computer in the other room.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

You need a wireless router and then you need a wireless NIC for the other PC. Something like this

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 4699413703
  • koshysx7
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, thanks guys, yeah i dont know much about wireless routing and stuff. i'm not sure if i have a wireless router or not though, can you see this picture and tell me if i have one.

the one on the top is a linksys broadband router it says, and the one on the bottom is a linksys cable modem.

btw, how would i know if my computer has a pci slot?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is not a wireless router. Wireless routers have antennae poking out of them.

See one here

Most PC's have PCI slots. What type of PC do you have?
  • david17
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: princeton, nj

Post 3+ Months Ago

what picture ?, all i saw was a russian girl with a nice ass/legs when i clicked on the "my real space (under construction)" link, but i guess grinch got it, if you want to know if you have an available pci slot open the case and look for a white long socket (about 3 inches length) if you have one free then you can install a wireless pci card, if you don't have any available but you have usb ports then buy a wireless usb card.
  • koshysx7
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

well i'm kinda scared of opening up my pc, and i have a vpr matrix computer or something. it's about 4 1/2- 3 years old, and it came with windows xp pro if that helps.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts