Help with my new GTX 260OC DX

• crisby
  • Born
  • Born
  • crisby

Post 3+ Months Ago

HI guys i have my dream computer and i just bought a new graphics card.... i was previously running a 8600gt with no issues but *plum* graphics... now my computer shuts off with no warning while playing any FPS game. during idle my computer is unaffected

i think its got to do with my power supply ... also i noticed that the temp of the GPU gets really hot when playing games such as Prototype and Crysis on full graphics norm temp is 40c then the temp jumps to 57c even higher then shuts off during 10 - 15min of game time.

My specs
case: massive mother *peach* thermaltake black full case 23cm side fan
Processor: Q8200 2.33ghz
Card: GTX 260 OC 896mb
Motherboard: p5Q3 deluxe
Power supply: A-Power 720W (i think this is the issue cause its cheap) 40 - 50 AU dollars
ram: 4 gig ddr 3 1333hz
zalman cooler
160 gig HD harddrive

any help will be much appreciated thx very much =D
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Personally I think your problem is over-heating, especially since you already mentioned that it gets hot and shuts off.

How many fans do you have in the system? You mention the one on the side, are there any in the front or rear besides the power supply fan?
  • crisby
  • Born
  • Born
  • crisby

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have a fan at the front 1 at the back the cooler fan on my processor and the 23cm side fan on my case... what i dont understand is the graphics card is closed in ... if you see a picture of it its all coverd with some crappy looking 5 cm fan that doesnt look like it does anything how am i suppose to cool it down?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

No idea, adding more fans wouldn't hurt.
  • crisby
  • Born
  • Born
  • crisby

Post 3+ Months Ago

i recently found out that its my power supply not my overheating apparently my graphics card is suppose to handle lots of heat. my quality of power supply is bad. so ill buy a new one and see if it fixes the problem =D thx for everything ... and yes i will most likely be adding a fan on my card =D
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

How did you find out it is your power supply?
  • crisby
  • Born
  • Born
  • crisby

Post 3+ Months Ago

i called where i bought my graphics card they said they had a few issues relating to it =D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts