Help with video card upgrade

• Underdog54
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Underdog54

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just got the OK from the wife to upgrade my graphics card, YEA HAAA. Only thing is I am on alimited budget around 200-250$

I am running a dell XPS 400 Pent D 2.8ghz 820,W/ 2g (4/512)DDR2 @533 ram. I am not sure what other specs will help assist the IT pros for some advice. Oh yea I am now running a ATI x600 256mb hypermemory PCI. My moitor is 1704FTP Digital.

I was just on the ATI web site and noticed a refurb ATI x800 pro for 149$. Is that a good option or should I stay away for any refurb.

If anyone can help with some ideas I would greatly appricate it.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

the pwnage
  • Underdog54
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Underdog54

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice, I like the specs from that card compared to the cards I have been looking at around that price.

Thankx
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

no problem
  • Underdog54
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Underdog54

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just found out that I only have a 375w PSU and the saphire recommends at least a 450w. Any recommedations on a new PSU also.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anything made by PC Power and cooling should suffice.
  • Underdog54
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Underdog54

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have never done any thing other than install some ram or exchange a disk drive so I'm thinking maybe I should just get a graphics card that is compatable with my PSU. Is it to much to risk if I ran the spahire x1800xt with the psu I have now and if not what would be the best GC I can use with my PSU at 375?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you continue to use the 375w you will have stability problems. Changing out a power supply is just as easy as changing out a video card.

A problem you may run into is that Dell uses proprietary parts and an after market power supply may not fit.

It is a shame Dell is using 375W power supplies in their XPS systems.
  • Underdog54
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Underdog54

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just had a online chat with a dell rep and was told that my rig cant handle a bigger PSU. Is that right?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is straight up bull$hit.

A 375W power supply is nothing. You could hook up a 600W supply and be fine.

Now he might of meant that the case cannot handle a bigger supply due to Dell's need to use proprietary parts.
  • Dangles
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Dangles
  • Loc: Brooklyn Transplanted into NJ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here is a link to PCPOWERANDCOOLING.com which shows what power supplies will go in what Dell's.

I don't see the XPS 400 listed but if you look at the bottom it says for all other models call... and a number.

I would give them a call, I bet they can tell you which one you need.

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/ ... r/dell.htm

Dangles
  • Underdog54
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Underdog54

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice, thinks I gonna give them a call right now.

I did think that was a load of bull even with the miniamal knowage I have.

That is soo nice to here I though I was doomed. When I was chatting with the rep he told my flat out my rigs motherboard and other devisces coundn't withstand anything higher than the 375w that it comes with.

On another note after I finally get this all done I am wondering what will be the biggest diff I will notice. I mean will it slap my in the face with eye poping graps or speed. With what I have now I guess I am second guessing myself as to the benifits of the new card. The card I have looks as if it were 150$ and by buying on just 80-100$more would that be a noticeable diff

AGAIN THANKS
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just took a look at that site and all of the other XPS models are given a 360W power supply which is 15W less than the 375W Dell. Hopefully, when you call them they have a bigger power supply to offer you.
  • Underdog54
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Underdog54

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just talked to a guy named bob there. He said he hasn't seen a dell XPS system yet and asked it I would take a few pic of my PSU and email it so he can referance it.

My question is in order for me to make all this worth the trouble now how much or to what upgrade do I need to go to in order to make a big diff where I can jusitfy spending the loote.

Thanks
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

dell is just trying to make this hard for you so that you go back to them and buy again. i would go through the trouble, save a lot of money [upgrading psu and gfx card, instead of buying new computer] and suck it up.
  • Underdog54
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Underdog54

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok. I have made up my mind I am going to go foward with my upgrade and I now want to get as much detail informaiton as I can about a PSU and a graphics card.

I have been to several forums and read alot of reviews about the cards. I have increased my budget to around 300$ give or take a few bucks for a card and PSU.

I moslty play Battlefield 2. I am exclusiviley a first person shooter gamer. Being new to pc gameing and hardware disables me to make a informed dission on what would be best for the use of my pc. I appricate any and all advice from more experianced pc users.

Can anyone help explain in black and white for me what the benifit of buying a 256mb v a 512mb in a graphics card. With my rig at 2g ddr2 running @533mhz I am undsure if a 512mb graphics card would help. As a newbie I am problebly wrong.

These are some of the cards I have been looking at I just need help narrowing down the choocies.

Saphhire X1800XT 256mb
Radeon X800GT 256mb
ATI X1600pro 512mb
XFX 7600GT xxx-edition256mb
Viper X800GTO 256mb

These are just a few I have been pondering. I am still looking for some other around the same price range to compare.

Any and all advice is greatly appricated.

Thankx
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

From what I have read (take in mind I am not a gamer) there is very little performance gain in going to a 512MB card.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

theres a 1% increase in performance over 256mb, but only when looking at fear...
theres no real reason to have it except if youre compensating for a "genetic malfunction" or you enjoy pissing your friends off.

you can remove the 7600 and x1600 from your list as they are mediocre cards. the x800 is a great card, but only resort to purchasing it if you need to spend more money on a psu and cant fit the x1800 into your budget
  • Underdog54
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Underdog54

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just ordered the x1800xt from newegg. Can't wait till it gets here.

Is there anyway I can run the card with my 375w PS. I know it recommends 450w but I think that is at a full load. ?

Thanks
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

shmaybe, shmaybe not...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts