Hewlett-Packard Photosmart Media Center

• northjersey78-2
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • northjersey78-2
  • Loc: North Jersey

Post 3+ Months Ago

So my Gateway computer seems like it's on it's way out. Clunky, slow and about 6 years old so I am looking to upgrade.

Best Buy has an 18 month no interest deal on new computers. I saw this and thought it might be a good solution. Any thoughts?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... d=cat01172

It has a huge hard drive, Pentium 4 3.0gHz, DVD-RW, etc... - looks like a pretty good multimedia PC for what I am looking for - and I can still get some usage out of my current monitor and printer so all I need is the CPU. I was considering keeping my old computer as some sort of server but I don't know if I even need to bother if I get this beast.

Is there anything else for around $1000 that would be much better?
  • northjersey78-2
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • northjersey78-2

Post 3+ Months Ago

Spec sheet:

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press ... m1170n.pdf
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try building one yourself, its usually cheaper. Ive built my athlon 64 3000+ for just under 500 quid.

*plum*
  • northjersey78-2
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • northjersey78-2

Post 3+ Months Ago

*plum* wrote:
Try building one yourself, its usually cheaper. Ive built my athlon 64 3000+ for just under 500 quid.

*plum*

I have no idea how to build a computer, and I would rather have a pre-built machine with a warranty instead of something I feebly attempted to put together myself.
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

building computers is simple, push part A into Slot B...

or give a mate a 6 pack of beer and get them to do it for you, youll save allot of money
  • northjersey78-2
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • northjersey78-2

Post 3+ Months Ago

*plum* wrote:
building computers is simple, push part A into Slot B...

or give a mate a 6 pack of beer and get them to do it for you, youll save allot of money

None of my mates know how to build computers. Not an option.

Back to the topic...
  • northjersey78-2
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • northjersey78-2

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm, just saw this Gateway model as well - similar specs - a bigger hard drive and more memory, but the keyboard and mouse are not as good and there is some different software:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 1101853904
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also, don't trash your old computer. They make nice media servers. I have a 1.4ghz Athlon who's only purpose is to store music and video files. Throw a few large hard drives in it and it's ready to go. Processor speed doesn't really matter THAT much, in fact I set one up for a buddy on an old Pentium III 800Mhz and he loves it.
  • northjersey78-2
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • northjersey78-2

Post 3+ Months Ago

ScienceOfSpock wrote:
Also, don't trash your old computer. They make nice media servers. I have a 1.4ghz Athlon who's only purpose is to store music and video files. Throw a few large hard drives in it and it's ready to go. Processor speed doesn't really matter THAT much, in fact I set one up for a buddy on an old Pentium III 800Mhz and he loves it.

Yeah I was planning on keeping it slely for downloading and keeping music & videos while the new PC will run all of my applications.
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

or u could setup ur own server for games or whatever
or ur own mail server if u really wanted to my friend has 4 comps 2 of em are soooo old there like p3 and he runs linux servers and stuff like that with them and when i get enough money i would like to do the same i should have kept my old comp...... grrr why did i have to hit it with a hammer half a million times!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts