Home Network

• ilyawizard
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ilyawizard

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello, I'm still nooby in networking when the question is about wiring. In my house there are 4 computers, and all of them in different rooms in different floors. I don't want to use wireless network and I want to catwire all the house (not just 4 computers). I know I could do it with just a router, but is there any other way? Is there any special router (obviosly with more than 4 outlets) or smth else that I could use? Schools and corporations have outlets in every room, what do they use?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

my house came "smrt wyrd"" (actual spelling) and that meant that there was a preexisting network connection, its just that cat5 cable had to be connected to one port and so on and so forth.

another solution is an ethernet switch
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

schools and corporations use routers... the same ones you buy in stores (well, that is unless it is a mega-corporation, and they have hundreds of computers in the building... then they night have special routers...). The outlets that most corporations ond schools have in the wall ar basically just a cat5 cable run through the wall, with a jack on one end and plugged into a router (or switch - all routers have built in switches, routers can simply do more) on the other end.

my home network is comprised of a cable modem, a 4-port router, and 2 x 8-port switches. no im not using every port, i simply stuck the 2 switches in the rooms where i had more then one computer, that way i only had to run 1 cable to that room...

the simplist way for you to network you house would be to buy an 8-port router, and stick that in the room with you internet access station in it (aka, your cable modem, or the computer that is sharing you connection), and run the cat5 from there...
  • jschultz
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Fargo, ND

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you didn't want to cough up the extra cash for an 8 port router, which i guess would probably be the best idea you can do switches or if you're not expecting to have more computers then just have a 4 port router and have the male end coming to the router but not plugged into anything, like, have a description tag or something on them. i know i've seen that done before. (i've done that before at a school actually. when we cut our own cables and had something like a router patch bay setup) but yeah, that's my 2 cents.. it'd cost slightly more however
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

The *real* way that this is done is to run all the cables in the walls/ceilings to a central location on that floor. All the cables are then terminated into a patch panel. From there, patch cords are used to connect the various ports in use to your switch/router. This both keeps all the wiring neat and organized, as well as allowing for more lines, and for equiptment to be swapped out in the event of a failure.

Here are some pictures of a rewire I did not too long ago in the building I work in:

http://www.daveswebserver.com/9225landrop/
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes, that is the correct way to do it if you are networking hunfreds of computers, but if it is only a couple, you dont need the patch box...

Quote:
if you didn't want to cough up the extra cash for an 8 port router

sorry, i should have explained this...

you only need a router if you have a broadband conneection, and do not want to share said connection through a computer... the router will act as the distrubation computer and also provide IPs for your network if you are doing DHCP... however, if you are sharing your internet connection through a computer, then you do not need a router you simply need a switch...

Quote:
if you're not expecting to have more computers then just have a 4 port router

true... but if you get another computer, then youd in essence be paying for 2 routers... i just find it better to aire on the side of caution so to speak...
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Agreed with Calendae, I just provided those pictures to answer the "Schools and corporations have outlets in every room, what do they use?" question.
  • ilyawizard
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ilyawizard

Post 3+ Months Ago

Really impressive...about those patch boxes. Are they really expensive? Not that I'm planning on using them, just curious. So, here comes another question. I have now 4-port wireless router and I'm planning on expanding it (more then 4 ports). What should I use? Router or switch and what is the difference between them?
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here are some patch panel examples:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... ?CatId=208

Here is a quick link about hubs, switches, and routers:
http://www.makeitsimple.com/sections.ph ... e&artid=12
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Somewhere on Google Earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

if your wondering about the actual wiring of the house, head over to your nearest:home hardware, Rona, Reno Depot, Building Box, etc.

:arrow: pick up yourself a box of cat 5 cable. (Risers are the cheapest but will break if you try to fish them, believe me :oops: )

:arrow: a staple gun would be useful for attaching the wires to the studs

:arrow: next you need outlets, get yourself normal outlet boxes (you can use the small/cheap ones as box fill is irrelevant with low voltage wires)

:arrow: now you need outlet covers, get click in one hole ones (you can get more holes if you want them, and caps if you want to get extra ones for later expansion)

:arrow: after that you need the teminals, they have 8 push in clips, for each of the wires, and on the other end a place to plug in a CAT5 cable to your computer (You will need a 5 buck push in tool to get the wires into the clips, but you get one free in packs of 10 CAT5 clips)

:arrow: you need CAT5 end for the switch end (you can buy $40 crimpers or do it with pliers, but I would really recommend the crimpers)[/code]

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts