Home wireless networking w/ router

• bigcheeez
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bigcheeez

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have three pcs throughout a home connected through a cable modem with a 4 port linksys wired router. I want to put a laptop in the basement and somehow connect it in through the router upstairs wirelessly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The laptop is running xp home, and I definitely need the laptop wireless.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• allgoodpeople
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: here

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'm doing something similar, but haven't gotten it to work yet. with that having been said, you should be able to just add a wireless access point to the router and access it wirelessly. either that, or just replace the wired router with a wireless router. it's about the same cose either way, plus or minus $10.

mark
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yup, replacing the wired router with a wireless router would be your best bet.

You could look into a wireless bridge - to essentially add wireless capabilities to your existing router, but it's probably going to be cheaper to buy the wireless router than it is to buy the bridge.
  • bigcheeez
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bigcheeez

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't want to put wireless NICs in all of the other computers. I want to leave the wired router just how it is. That access point sounds great, but you say that you haven't been able to get it working? What is the problem that you have?
I want something like a wap that I can plug into the open port on the router-then access it from the laptop just as if it was plugged in.
  • allgoodpeople
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: here

Post 3+ Months Ago

a wireless router will typically have 4 ports for running CAT-5 connections, as well as the wireless functionality. so, you could put the wireless router in the upstairs room, network all your stuff in the room wired, and access the network from the rest of the house wirelessly.

mark
  • bigcheeez
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bigcheeez

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks a lot, I didn't know that a wireless router could have wired connections also.
Thanks again
  • technical
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

For more information check out:
http://www.ozzu.com/ftopic23106.html

and after that check out
http://www.ozzu.com/ftopic23118.html

hope this helps

Post Information