hot video card?

• Wesley/g
  • Wesley/g

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im not sure about this, my new video card runs at about 60 degrees C when basically idle. It is an evga 6800 gt, so it has only one slot heat sink and fan. Nvidia says the "Core slowdown threshold" is at 135 degrees C. Im not sure I like this hot temperature. My case has 2 fans and I believe that the entire case will change fan speed (including video card) if it gets too hot. Do you think I am safe or is there anything i could try to do about this? I know I can take thermal controll off of my case fans in the bios but then it sounds like I have a spaceship taking off. To do this same thing with the video card I simply uninstall the driver. My computer's ambient temperature is @ 46 C.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wouldnt be concerned. 60c for a 6800GT is fine, when it gets up into the 70's thats when i would be worried. I would put more case fans in to improve that airflow, also tie back any cables that may be stopping airflow. This should remidie the high case ambient temperature.
  • Wesley/g
  • Wesley/g

Post 3+ Months Ago

After playing for dungeon seige for about 10 minutes it gets to around 65. I would bet it would only increase with time. Does anyone know if the fan will speed up when needed? It seems to be controlled by the driver, but im not sure.
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Under Your Bed

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your Fan speed? I thought that can only be controled manualy By Sending more power to the fan. But im not sure. I have a PCI card that lets me controle each fan speed in my computer.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

like *plum* said, that is a normal temerature for a 6800, but i would also make sure that there is proper airflow to the card. for my 6800, i know it only runs at max 60Âșc, but thats because there like 3 fans directly on it, its underclocked [lol] and there are no airflow issues

why cant i say his name [*plum*?]
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Because i have the word sh*t in it and phpbb forums, in there wisdom, have "language controls..." therefore no one can say my name. Unless you change the I for some latin i with an accent...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts