how to moniter speedfan?

• Spyro
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Spyro

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all

my laptop is 3 months old, and it keep shut down itself, so i install speedfan 4.31.

i have a external hdd attach and this is the result that come up, saying

Found ST960812A (60.0GB)
Found ACPI temperature (96.0c)

and the side is saying

HD0:42c
(fire icon) Temp1:82c
(fire icon) Temp2:66c

i think it's too hot right? but what can i do speed up the fan?

please help, and thank u very very much.
  • tweakboy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • tweakboy
  • Loc: Glendale

Post 3+ Months Ago

Those temps are crazy hot ?

Soo your external drive is 42c ? Hard drives can go to 60c and work properly, but the life is shortened.

looks like your CPU is 82c , It should die anytime now lol, Where is your laptop stored ? Mite try opening window or somethin,,,

Or getting external hd enclosure with fan,, to cool it down.
  • Spyro
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Spyro

Post 3+ Months Ago

so it's really too hot...? so it's must be the fan problem...?

can i change my laptop fan? i mean bring to some computer store and ask them to change for me, if yes, can please give me some advice? like what speed should i choose or something like that? (this question may sound silly to u :p)

thank u very much....
  • Spyro
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Spyro

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.verve9.com/spyro/Others/SpeedFan.jpg

as u can see, on the left is the help file of speedfan say it should look like when first run, on the right side of the picture is my first run...

is this normal? they look so different...
when i go to 'configure' - 'fans', it show nothing, is that mean it can't detect fan? could it be my sensor problem?
if this is my sensor problem, what can i do?

another thing is, when i'm indoor, i run speedfan is the result as it show on he right side of the picture, so i try to put my computer out door for an hour (outside is like 16-18o in china), then i run speedfan for few time, but i alway get the same result, is this normal?

sorry for asking so many question, but i really have to stop my computer to cut power again... :(

thank u very much.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well your on a laptop so you wont have all the goodies a desktop might be able to control. I would suggest you check to see if your fan is even working.

The reason you dont have the fan controls is there are no fan control ports on the motherboard. What kind of a laptop is it?
  • Spyro
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Spyro

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'm using acer tm2420

Pentium M
1.73Ghz, 1.24 GB of ram
  • Spyro
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Spyro

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have patition my hard drive into c: and d:

today i want to open my d: (start-my computer-d:)

it pop up a window saying: choose a programe to open this file

what should i do?

thank u very much...
  • Bryan Cheer
  • Bryan Cheer
  • Loc: Plymouth, Devon, UK.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have just stripped a laptop in which the CPU had stalled a few times and then failed completely.
There were two intake fans on the underside of the machine sucking air in and trying to blow it through the fins of a copper radiator attached to the central processor (CPU). I say 'trying' because both sets of radiator fins were totally blocked with nicotine impregnated dust. The temperature of the CPU in a warm room would have rocketed. The CPU temperature sensor would have been yelling to the fan controller to speed up, which would not have helped much. In fact with the airway virtually blocked, the fan speed would have already been well above normal (try putting your hand over the your hair dryer inlet - the fan speeds up).

If you think your computer is getting hot:
1 Make sure there is no restriction to the air inlet(s).
2 Take a vacuum cleaner to each inlet in turn while covering the other(s), in an attempt to suck out any build ups of dust.
3 If there is no improvement, enlist the help of a computer engineer to give the laptop a servicing. Most of us have our cars serviced regularly, and one of the things they do is clean or change oil and air filters.

Of course there are other causes of overheating, but this one is so common that it could well be your problem, and it is fairly easy to address. Good luck.
  • Spyro
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Spyro

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks Bryan Cheer :)

i'll try vacuum it first, if it won't work, i'll send it to servicing.

hopefully is just the fans get stuck, no need to change the hard drive :p
  • Bryan Cheer
  • Bryan Cheer

Post 3+ Months Ago

You're Welcome.
Happy New Year!
  • Spyro
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Spyro

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bryan Cheer

i have send it to servicing and just got it back today, it's just like what u said... the fans is stuck with nicotine and dust...

2 packs a day for 12 years stuck my 3 months old laptop and haven't kill me... yet... :p

thanks again, happy new year to u too :)
  • Bryan Cheer
  • Bryan Cheer

Post 3+ Months Ago

Glad to hear that you are back in business Spyro. Hope it was not too expensive.

If you use the laptop on your lap (which is what they are for of course), then be careful to keep those intakes clear. I had one operating on a table recently. I had spread some newspaper to protect the surface, and the suction at the intakes lifted the paper and cut off the supply of cool air. I could not see this happening without looking between the laptop and the table.

There is a lap platform device on the market, but any hard flat surface will do. One of those TV snack trays with a built in cushion woud probably be perfect.

One final piece of gratuitous advice, if I may be so bold - GIVE UP THAT DREADFUL HABIT!

All the best.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts