How much could i sell my comp for?

• NO_EXIT
  • NO_EXIT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm tryin to sell my comp b/c i'm saving up for a new comp. But i got no clue how much i could get for it. Here is the basic info on it : Its operating system is millennium its a Sony Vio w/ 701 mhz, 512 MB of RAM. Intel Pentium III Processor. It has a Sony 52X disk drive. Sound card is a Intel (r) 82801AA AC'97 Audio Controller. Graphic card is a Intel(r) 82810 Graphic Controller. D and C hardrive combined 20 gigs.
- I don't know computers to well :(
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds like scrap to me...

Might be able to get a hundred or two if you're lucky.
  • NO_EXIT
  • NO_EXIT

Post 3+ Months Ago

would a 17 inch monitor put the value up or would it still b around 100-200
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

How new? Flat or Round? CRT or LCD? What company/brand?
  • NO_EXIT
  • NO_EXIT

Post 3+ Months Ago

came w/ the comp in 2000 or 01 i beleive its flat, not lcd or those new flat moniters, its a viewsonic A75f
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can buy brand new 19" CRT monitors for about $110 these days, and that PC's probably worth about 40-50 bucks used.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wouldn't ask more than a 100 for it but you may be able to sell it for more to another computer novice who doesn't know much.

Onboard video isn't good for gaming
20GB hard drive is very small and not worth much
Onboard sound is decent if you are not picky about audio quality or surround sound
I personally do not like Vaio's, I worked on a couple and absolutely hated it.

Put it on E-bay and see what you get, you may be surprised.
  • NO_EXIT
  • NO_EXIT

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks alot guys for all ur help, i'v concluded e-bay is probally the best choice
  • Ishii
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ishii
  • Loc: Gilbert, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

In my eyes $50 is not enough to pry away any working machine from me, and you'll be lucky to get that on ebay. The specs you listed would be ideal for storing files such as mp3s, video files, whatever. Just upgrade the hard drive when you get the chance. Or you could convert it to a linux or BSD based firewall/router.
  • NO_EXIT
  • NO_EXIT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am kinda mad i paid 1300 for this pc in 2001 iand it is now almost worthless, this particular model i am also very angry at because its bearly upgradable b/c everything is attached to the motherboard, i did get to add two 256 mb of memory to it. This pc has caused much pain for me i am just waiting to get rid of it :) !! last christmas i was so excited to get this graphic card, and to my dismay nothing can really be added to this S*** Box unless i get a new motherboard, and i might as well just get a new comp.
  • NO_EXIT
  • NO_EXIT

Post 3+ Months Ago

i got another computer also i'm tryin to save up for that dell Dimension XPS Gen 5, is this a good choice?
  • Ishii
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ishii
  • Loc: Gilbert, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

The problem with any branded computer is they all come with so much crap installed that you're never going to use. Dell makes a reliable machine for pretty cheap, what I would recommend is nuking the install as soon as you get it and reinstalling ONLY the operating system. Then go to dell's web site and download and install the latest drivers they've released. After that, update windows fully, download AVG anti-virus (free) from free.grisoft.com and you should be good to go with a clean computer.
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

NO_EXIT wrote:
i got another computer also i'm tryin to save up for that dell Dimension XPS Gen 5, is this a good choice?

Why not build your own machine? You get complete customization and a cheaper price.
  • NO_EXIT
  • NO_EXIT

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'm not that good w/ comps, i no my around it and can fix problems but i don't know bout buildin my own... Which brings me to my next questions, is there any way to speed up a computer w/o getting a better proccessor?
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

NO_EXIT wrote:
i'm not that good w/ comps, i no my around it and can fix problems but i don't know bout buildin my own... Which brings me to my next questions, is there any way to speed up a computer w/o getting a better proccessor?

The easiest way to speed up your computer is to format your hard drive and then reinstall Windows. If you don't want to do that, a virus scan, spyware scan, a registry clean up, an old program clean up, and a disk defrag can give you a big performance boost.

As far as upgrading goes, a new video card will give you more speed in games and more RAM will help your system run smoother.
  • RoadRash333
  • RoadRash333

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree, build your own. If you aren't very knowledgable with computers, ask a friend you trust who is. If that isn't an option, I'm sure that we could help you come up with a system that fits your needs. Building your own is always better if possible. Dell, Gateway, etc ALL fill their computers with a boatload of junk and use it as a sales pitch with all the "free" software. You won't use 90% of it. You get your new computer and are all happy, then spend the first day wiping out all the crap, reinstalling the O/S and updating. THEN you get to use your machine. If any problems arise, plan on an hour on hold with their "tech support" in India and you can experience the joy of having someone you barely understand reading drop down menus to you and ignoring what you are saying to them. Best to build your own and have it servied locally.
  • UnWanted0
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well no exit i would format the thing in Windows XP if you have it be fore you sell it. people might pay more.
  • yaz
  • yaz

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe wrote:
You can buy brand new 19" CRT monitors for about $110 these days, and that PC's probably worth about 40-50 bucks used.

40-50 bucks used or 25 cents at goodwill and the monitor is just as good.
  • b34nz
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • b34nz

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ishii wrote:
The problem with any branded computer is they all come with so much crap installed that you're never going to use. Dell makes a reliable machine for pretty cheap, what I would recommend is nuking the install as soon as you get it and reinstalling ONLY the operating system. Then go to dell's web site and download and install the latest drivers they've released. After that, update windows fully, download AVG anti-virus (free) from free.grisoft.com and you should be good to go with a clean computer.

EXACTLY :!:
  • UnWanted0
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ishii,... AVG is sooo 2 years ago...Avast is Soo much better and home ed is FREE.

http://www.avast.com

lol, i think im spamin :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts