how do u overclock?

• Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok i was wondering how u over clock ur pc i got a 2.4 ghz 80 gb hard drive 512 mb ram ati radeon 9600 se graphics card i am running windows xp home edition
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• cyber_craft
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

its really hard to overclock with P4 because intel blocks it since you have a P4 don't even try to use software to overclock. but a good way to overclock with a P4 is if you have a motherboard that will support it. then if you do you should find it in your BIOS screen

BUT I HOPE YOU KNOW ABOUT ALL THAT COMES WITH OVERCLOCKING
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge

Post 3+ Months Ago

no i actually know nothing about over clocking it sounds like it would be better so i wanted to try it i want to make my pc better but not take any risks cuz i wouldnt have enough money to buy a new pc and no way to explain it
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

moved to hardware

cyber_craft - can you please change your signature to comply with our rules?
No more than 3 lines of text, no more than 2 links. Thanks.
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge

Post 3+ Months Ago

alright enough of the signiture stuff if u had some helpful content i might appreciate u why not just PM him instead of saying it out here alright so again i want to over clock my pc to make it better but i dont want to risk messing up my pc is that possible and if it is can someone tell me how to do it cuz yes i got a p4
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

overclocking is risky and must be done with great care and understanding. The down sides to overclocking are increased heat in computer (large increase) so that means you need more cooling if can want to overclock a lot. If you overclock too much you can totaly destroy your motherboard and cpu permanently. Overclocking voids your hardware warrenties and shortens the life of your system. Some motherboards overclock and some won't let you and some are better then others. If have a dell or a home system company type computer you wont be able to overclock much and if you forced it you would probably burn things out. i don't find overclocking a very good investment it is usualy better just to buy a better system, the only time you realy would like to overclock is if you are realy lagging behind on speed in games you play regularly. my system at the molment is overclocked from 2.4 to 2.61ghz but i have tons of cooling and an overclocking motherboard. i also left myself a lot of safety becasue i could have put the ghz up to 2.7 but i wanted to leave some safety room.

what is your system specs and everything... motherboard, power supply unit, how many cooling fans?

if you notice penguin he has a 2.2 overclocked to 2.7 because he has a custom pc and be probably bought a mobo that is very good for overclocking probably an asus motherboard. i have an Aopen motherboard which is not as good for overclocking as an asus.
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge

Post 3+ Months Ago

on my pc i only have the fan over the intel card thing and one under the power thing (lol i dont know much about what stuff is called) umm i have a u8668 intel motherboard my pc is custom built but anyways (stupid question) could u put a mini fan and keep the side open on the pc for a way for the pc to escape to cool it down ??
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

most cases have 2 fan slots at the back below the PSU. it will just look like a grill and 4 holes around it. anyway it doesnt look like you have enough knowledge to overclock i would highly suggest you do not overclock... even if you were to overclock you wouldnt get much out of it, your system is quite good already.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your system is fine but if your having issues with games then you need a new graphics card. The ati radeon 9600 se is a poor card for games and you should be able to over clock that by about 10-20MHz.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your wasting your time trying to overclock a Biostar board... :wink:
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

i totaly agree. you are much better off getting a new system or if thats too pricey a better video card would help but not by much.
  • puKKa
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

heh, thought about my friend, he just bought a new computer and he's clocking it forth and back to find a good frequency. He had just gotten it when we had a LAN, the fun thing was that when he was cloking it, rebooting, sometimes it played this nice melody and didn't start windows ^^
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

beings wrote:
a better video card would help but not by much.

If hes not playing it games it will not have any effect but if he is that card is well under powered.
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have the radeon 9600 pro and it almost overpowers my cpu 2.61 ghz for gaming. i ran a Aqua mark test and got CPU: 5,762 GFX: 3,186 Total: 24,962.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

beings wrote:
i have the radeon 9600 pro and it almost overpowers my cpu 2.61 ghz for gaming. i ran a Aqua mark test and got CPU: 5,762 GFX: 3,186 Total: 24,962.

No cos he has an an SE and you have a miles better Pro. Yours has a 128Bit bus and he has a 64bit bus. His is clocked at 325/365 and your is clocked at 400/600. The SE is slower than even a Geforce Ti4200 and yours is 2 times as quick!

I love AquaMark too so check it out for yourself:
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphi ... ts-12.html

I need to upgrade my GeForce ti4400 but I am going to wait for a affordable 12 pixel pipe card with that Ultrashadow 2 stuff.
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

this realy all depends why he wants to overclock... theres no point in overclocking unless you are a gamer or use 3d rendering software.... in those cases get a new video card insted of overclocking
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

beings wrote:
this realy all depends why he wants to overclock... theres no point in overclocking unless you are a gamer or use 3d rendering software.... in those cases get a new video card insted of overclocking

My home filecabnet is overclocked, it doesn't even have a monitor :P
  • dqualter
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert: lmfao !!!
i have an amd athlon xp and a msi mother bo'. i clocked it up a bit jus to learn how test with this software i had said it can go 2 1.8 ghz so i clocked it to 1.7 it started at 1.5 . can you under clock something?
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah you can underclock but if you underclock a lot it does put stress on your components just like overclocking does, strange huh.
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Somewhere on Google Earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

alright, baised on what skirge wants to do, I would recomend he simply optimise his system, and then see if it needs overclocking (would doubt it)

a good place to start would be:
http://www.blackviper.com

once you get more into optimisation, you can also find utilities here:
http://www.majorgeeks.com

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts